Dishwasher / Garbage Disposal Drain / Can Opener Mystery

Yesterday I was confronted by a brand new (< 1 year old) Bosch dishwasher that was not completely draining. It had been installed in an older home (+ 25 years).
I ran through a wash cycle and the water gushed into the GD but the GD started to fill up a bit. Ran the GD but no improvement.
Killed the machine & decided to break open the trap that the GD feed into. Trap was clean (no food waste / grease / soap gunk) EXCEPT for an old style can / bottle opener (aka church key) !!!!
The sink is a double sink. The dishwasher feeds into the GD. The GD output goes into the only trap. The second sink drain feeds into the GD output just above the single trap.
Obviously the church key did not pass through the GD. I checked the second sink drain opening but the slots in the drain did not open to accept the church key.
The church key was a bit rusting indicated that it had been there a while (maybe a couple years).
I'm stumped about how it got there.
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

Church keys haven't been common for twenty years.
If you find a turtle on a fence post, you can be pretty sure it didn't get there by itself.

They have been in my house. Still are. Lots of good beer bottles have non-twist caps.
My thought is that the GD was installed after the churchkey found its new home.
Jim

Do you think a church key would survive in a kitchen sink trap for 10+ years? And if it had been in there that long......why did the D/W drain ok until lately?
Somebody put it in there?
cheers Bob
HeyBub wrote:

How do you open your Corona bottles?

re: "How do you open your Corona bottles?"
Frozen lime wedges
IGot2P wrote:

With my teeth. Why? Is there a better way?
on 12/10/2009 3:33 PM (ET) IGot2P wrote the following:

I open my European beers, Becks and Pilsner Urquell, with my Swiss Army Knife, or my key chains Becks bottle cap/flip top opener (in case one doesn't have finger nails)., or one of the bottle/can openers in the kitchen drawer. I haven't seen one of those 'church key' flat metal openers in years.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/PiraticalBob/churchkey.jpg
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Plus the pointed end is used for big cans of tomato juice, etc. which havn't changed in 50+ years.

You were probably really drunk when you hid it there many years ago.
On Dec 10, 9:46am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Not my house.....this is only the third time I've been there since Aug 09.
cheers Bob