dishwasher does not drain

I self-installed a dishwasher which I am certain works correctly. I hooked it all up and ran it. Water does not drain out of it. I took out the dishwasher, unhooked the hose and inspected it for obstructions; none were found. The remaining water in the dishwasher drained out once disconnected, so there was no obstruction from the interior of the dishwasher to the hose hookup.
Having established that there is no obstruction preventing water from draining... what could it be? This is the 2nd dishwasher I have attempted to install and the 1st one also had the same issue, so I find it difficult to believe that replacing the dishwasher again would solve the issue.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or suggestions you may have!

Did you also replace the garbage disposer at the same time and forget to knock out the plug in the disposer dishwasher connection?
Tom G.

the garbage disposer was not changed out.

the garbage disposer was not changed out.
Was there a DW there to start with? (you say you installed one, not 'replaced' one.) If that's the case, even the older disposer will need to have the plug knocked out of the drain flange, assuming you are draining into the disposer.
Personally, the next time I install a new Disposer I'm also changing to a flanged drain tube on the other sink and not draining into the disposer. Two reasons - the better DWs do a fine job of grinding up food waste (and besides, if it makes it up the DW drain line, it certainly isn't going to plug the larger sink drain lines!). Second, I've had two experiences with the flange on the disposer corroding and leaking, making it necessary to replace the disposer. The sink drain tube with a DW flange is a hellofa lot cheaper, and probably even a little less likely to corrode.
Was it a drawer model? Their hoses have to be carefully routed per the installation manual or they kink.

There was previously installed a dishwasher, I was just replacing it.
I do not know what a 'drawer' model is. This is the kind you slide in under the counter and then adjust the feet to the proper height, I thought all dishwashers were like that???
I am beginning to suspect that perhaps the drainage hose needs to be situated 'just right', or maybe it is kinking as you suggested. I'll try to check into that but it's hard to work in that space... any suggestions how to route the hose?
Pull out the DW and test run it with the drain hose going into the sink. If it drains fine, either the drain line is being kinked when you push it back, or you have a blockage where the drain line connects to.