Dish washer and garbage disposal

Page 3 of 3
On 11/18/2014 05:25 PM, Josh wrote:

Since the garbage disposal usually just runs a few seconds, it's not likely to cause a problem. I suppose that if something lodged in it and it locked up, it could draw a bit of current though.
In my own house I have neither garbage disposal or dish washer... however I did re-wire the kitchen so that the coffee maker, microwave and toaster are all on their own circuits. Even two on the same circuit would very likely be an over-load or close to it.
Josh wrote:

In our kitchen DW and disposal unit is on different circuit. Fridge, MW also. All counter top duplex outlets are independent, each fed by different circuit, lighting is all pot LEDs on dimmer. Sub panel for kitchen is located on the pantry wall. Never had problem.
On 11/18/2014 05:25 PM, Josh wrote:

That often happens here.
[snip]
--
36 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

They have been moving toward all of the circuits in a home being GFCI or AFCI and eventually they will all be both. We are really running out of circuits that aren't.
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 06:00:57 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Exactly.
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 06:00:57 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

This is interesting John G says this was adopted in the 2014 code but when I read the ROP it says the panel rejected it. I agree, someone put their thumb on the scale
From the ROP
2-58 Log #2561 NEC-P02 Final Action: Reject (210.8(D)) ________________________________________________________________ TCC Action: It was the action of the Correlating Committee that this proposal be reported as “Reject” because less than two-thirds of the members eligible to vote have voted in the affirmative. Submitter: Jay A. Broniak, GE Appliances & Lighting Recommendation: Revise text to read as follows: This form proposal is for requiring ground-fault circuit-interrupt (GFCI) protection on the dishwasher circuit. Section 210.8 (D) Kitchen Dishwasher branch circuit. GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed in dwelling unit locations. Substantiation: As the requirement for ground-fault circuit-interrupters (GFCIs) has been expanded throughout the NEC code, the amount of electrical shock incidents related to consumer products have continued to decline over time. Increased usage of GFCls within branch circuits of residential homes is a highly effective means of further reducing the potential for electrical shocks. CMP-2 should require GFCI protection on the dishwasher circuit. Panel Meeting Action: Reject Panel Statement: The submitter has not provided adequate substantiation to warrant the expansion of GFCI protection to branch circuits supplying dishwashers. Number Eligible to Vote: 11 Ballot Results: Affirmative: 7 Negative: 4

No, I think that is safe. I wash my cat that way and he has never been shocked. Pissed off, yes; but not shocked.