Dish washer and garbage disposal

As a practical matter, I've had both on the same circuit for 30 years and never had a problem. Rare they both run together, but once in a while they do for a brief time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

*New Jersey should have the 2014 adopted by January. I had my mandatory 2014 code update class last February.
Reply to
John G

The dish washer is a pretty small one and I did not see the name plate when I was there, but it has #16 wire so I doubt a 20 amp circuit would be over-loaded even if they did run the disposal briefly

Reply to
philo

Also, not that the codes are real strict here in western NC, neither the DW or disposal have any type ground fault protection, other than a hard wired ground. The house was built 5 years ago. It does have arc fault detection for the bedrooms, though, plus GFCIs for all kitchen, bath, unfinished basement, and exterior outlets. Also, you'd never want any protectors on the fridge or freezer for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks to you and everyone for the advice

I'll soon be heading out to get parts.

After I finally brought my own house up to code I see that I've used up most of my electrical supplies.

Reply to
philo

Well, one problem solved.

Went to two suppliers and could not find an Eaton/Cutler Hammer GFCI breaker so will use the GFCI outlet method.

Will be better when the need arises for removing the washer.

Reply to
philo

That GFCI on the dish washer is a new requirement in the 2014 code. I would be surprised if Florida adopted it by 2017. I don't even have a

14 code book we are just getting ready for the 11.
Reply to
gfretwell

Scott Lurndal

yep, I went to Home Depot's website and that's the one I found... only the closest Home Depot to my house no longer carries any Cutler Hammer products.

Considering the price, it was cheaper to just get a standard breaker (elsewhere) and a GFCI outlet.

Plus as was mentioned...the dishwasher can just be unplugged if it needs to be pulled out and worked on.

Reply to
philo

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:24:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Just curious: so dishwashers have been installed without GFCI for 60 or so years. Now they need to have GFCI. What has changed to require the code intrusion? Are a lot of people suddenly getting electrocuted or have a lot of people always been getting electrocuted and the code writers just deciding to do something about it?

Or were the code writers just bored this year?

Reply to
VinnyB

I suspect the code writers got paid off by the GFCI lobbyists, who took them to Vegas for all drinks paid weekend at the Mustang Ranch.

Cynical, much?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know why that would be -- I'm often cleaning the dishes, loading up the dishwasher, and as I finish loading, put the soap in, and start the dishwasher, I either continue washing pots and pans, or realize I didn't run the disposal and need to before the dishwasher starts draining, so I run it then, right as the dishwasher is cycling. I can't be the only one.

Having said that, our current 1955 house has the dishwasher, disposal, all of the counter outlets and many of the lights on the same circuit. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

They have been moving toward all of the circuits in a home being GFCI or AFCI and eventually they will all be both. We are really running out of circuits that aren't.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's just a matter of safety. GFCI

Back 60 years ago houses did not even have grounded outlets much less GFCI ( Invention date 1961 according to a Google search)

I just recalled that my grandparents' house was built in 1948 and had a dishwasher. As I kid I really thought that was hi tech. Even though my grandmother had a dish washer I still recall that her toaster was one of those old-fashioned kind that toasted one side of the bread at a time

Reply to
philo

Since the garbage disposal usually just runs a few seconds, it's not likely to cause a problem. I suppose that if something lodged in it and it locked up, it could draw a bit of current though.

In my own house I have neither garbage disposal or dish washer... however I did re-wire the kitchen so that the coffee maker, microwave and toaster are all on their own circuits. Even two on the same circuit would very likely be an over-load or close to it.

Reply to
philo

*The explanation given in my code class (If I remember correctly) was that the controls for dishwashers are becoming more and more electronic and less and less mechanical. The electronic components insulating ability breaks down over time and current can leak to the metal frame thereby creating a s hock hazard.
Reply to
John G

Hmm, In our kitchen DW and disposal unit is on different circuit. Fridge, MW also. All counter top duplex outlets are independent, each fed by different circuit, lighting is all pot LEDs on dimmer. Sub panel for kitchen is located on the pantry wall. Never had problem.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I am curious where the GFCI outlet for the dishwasher will be located -- maybe in a cabinet space next to the dishwasher? -- similar to how an over-the-range microwave outlet is often located in a cabinet space above the microwave? I am assuming that the dishwasher GFCI outlet would need to be located someplace where it could be reset if it trips without having to pull the dishwasher out first to reset the GFCI.

Reply to
TomR

I am going to put the outlet in the cabinet under the sink. It will be easy to access in the event it trips. The home owner will of course be informed.

Reply to
philo

Got it.

Reply to