Dish washer and garbage disposal

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Reply to
philo

Hi, I wonder why?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Something to consider. If you hard wire, they have to be disconnected if moved out for service. I put a receptacle under the sink Short cord and plug makes it easy to handle.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That occurred to me but if I leave enough wire for the washer to be pulled out for service, that should be OK I think.

Reply to
philo

To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.

Reply to
micky

I'm going with the present code

Reply to
philo

You should use 1967 rules, and give up about

2/3 of your house to Palestine. You'll love em! Really knock you dead. A real blast.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You might get sentenced to jail in 1979....

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Both are installed with plugs in our kitchen too. The possibility is both having inductive load(motors) it can falsely trigger GFCI sensor and shut the unit specially when starting. Like wise fridge is not on GFCI.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You're call. (Has it changed?)

Reply to
micky

In a dwelling; There is no requirement to put the dish washer, disposal or fridge on GFCI circuits, only "where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces" 210.52(G)(6)

Reply to
gfretwell

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protecte d (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski

John G

OK, so you are saying no GFC is needed if there is no receptacle?

I looked at the NEC and see 210.52 (G) but no subsection (6)

Reply to
philo

The more I think about this I realize that since both units will have water in them that it makes sense to put on a GFI breaker. (even if not needed for the disposal)

I plan to do this by direct wiring and not by the use of receptacles.

Originally I was thinking of running two, 15 amp circuits but think a single 20 Amp should suffice.

Reply to
philo

210.8(A)(6)

Sorry. Brain fart.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks

Reply to
philo

2014? Eeek! We are still waiting until they decide when the 11 will be approved.
Reply to
gfretwell

Here in NYC they have to be on dedicated circuits.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Two separate circuits seems unreasonable, since you rarely would be startin g to use the disposal at the exact same time as the dishwasher motor is sta rting up. The outlet route with a short cord and plug is definitely the wa y togo for ease of current use and future repairs.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The only problem is to have 2 pieces of equipment on one circuit is the name plate load will have to be less than 20a when you use 125% of the largest one plus the smaller at 100% You might just make it tho.

Reply to
gfretwell