Dish washer and garbage disposal

Page 1 of 3
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and dish washer.
May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?
philo wrote:

Hi, I wonder why?
On 11/17/2014 6:21 PM, philo wrote:

Something to consider. If you hard wire, they have to be disconnected if moved out for service. I put a receptacle under the sink Short cord and plug makes it easy to handle.
On 11/17/2014 06:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That occurred to me but if I leave enough wire for the washer to be pulled out for service, that should be OK I think.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Both are installed with plugs in our kitchen too. The possibility is both having inductive load(motors) it can falsely trigger GFCI sensor and shut the unit specially when starting. Like wise fridge is not on GFCI.

To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.
The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.
On 11/17/2014 07:03 PM, micky wrote:

I'm going with the present code
On 11/17/2014 8:05 PM, philo wrote:

You might get sentenced to jail in 1979....
On 11/17/2014 8:03 PM, micky wrote:

You should use 1967 rules, and give up about 2/3 of your house to Palestine. You'll love em! Really knock you dead. A real blast.

You're call. (Has it changed?)

In a dwelling; There is no requirement to put the dish washer, disposal or fridge on GFCI circuits, only "where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces" 210.52(G)(6)

OK, so you are saying no GFC is needed if there is no receptacle?
I looked at the NEC and see 210.52 (G) but no subsection (6)
On Monday, November 17, 2014 6:21:32 PM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protecte d (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.
There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
On 11/17/2014 08:51 PM, John G wrote:

The more I think about this I realize that since both units will have water in them that it makes sense to put on a GFI breaker. (even if not needed for the disposal)
I plan to do this by direct wiring and not by the use of receptacles.
Originally I was thinking of running two, 15 amp circuits but think a single 20 Amp should suffice.

210.8(A)(6)
Sorry. Brain fart.

Thanks
On 11/17/2014 10:31 PM, philo wrote:

Also, not that the codes are real strict here in western NC, neither the DW or disposal have any type ground fault protection, other than a hard wired ground. The house was built 5 years ago. It does have arc fault detection for the bedrooms, though, plus GFCIs for all kitchen, bath, unfinished basement, and exterior outlets. Also, you'd never want any protectors on the fridge or freezer for obvious reasons.
On 11/18/2014 07:41 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Thanks to you and everyone for the advice
I'll soon be heading out to get parts.
After I finally brought my own house up to code I see that I've used up most of my electrical supplies.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:51:12 -0800 (PST), John G

2014? Eeek! We are still waiting until they decide when the 11 will be approved.

*New Jersey should have the 2014 adopted by January. I had my mandatory 2014 code update class last February.