Discharging gray water to back alley

While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our washer, I have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the laundry water out the garage. The water runs across the back yard's concrete paver and end up ponding a little in the back alley.

Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent a code inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said this is temporary and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop immediately.

Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from properties? I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes by hand and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal then, she said that "might" be acceptable. I don't understand...

orangetrader

Why would it be sewage? It is gray water not black water. If you wash your car is the water runoff "sewage"?

orangetrader

You are f****ng kidding me, right? I gotta say if my neighbor were draining ANYTHING into an open area, yea, I'd complain too. How the hell are your neighbors supposed to know what you are draining?

Jesus dude, have some respect for the people around you. Drain your f****ng laundy into your bathtub.

Reply to
Matt

It would depend completely upon where you live, but here in Arizona it is legal to install a gray water system. You can read the highlights of the regulation here. Click on the Using Gray Water at Home link.

Some of the primary considerations are: (1) You must contain the water within your own property; (2) It cannot pool where humans can walk in it; (3) It must have a diverter valve where the water can be diverted back into the septic/sewer system if there is a problem; (4) It can only be used for irrigation; (5) Can only be used for bathroom sinks/shower/tub and laundry. Cannot be used for kitchen sink or dish washer because of the presence of food particles. Cannot be used for laundry if diapers or similar is washed in it.

In your case, if you were in Arizona, you would be in trouble because of the water leaving your property and also pooling.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Do it right. You already have at least one neighbor mad at you and you may end up with the lot of them hating you. I would be a poor bureaucrac indeed who could not come up with some law to throw at you. I suspect it is covered anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi, AZ is water hungry place. They would treat water with more respect! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Any laundry detergent I've heard of is completely biodegradable.

Reply to
Ed

"Any laundry detergent I've heard of is completely biodegradable."

That's for sure. Plus I don't think I'd live in a city where you normally can't wash a car at home. Where the hell is that?

Reply to
trader4

If the wastewater comes from a toilet, it's SEWAGE ( black-water )

if it comes from a shower, sink, washer, etc.... it's GRAY WATER

In many places gray water is perfectly legal for lawns, gardens, etc.

Reply to
Anonymous

Perhaps the OP should dump the grey water into his lawn?

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

If they cannot cite a code, you can probably fight and win. OTOH, the city has more money and more lawyers than you do. I'm sure they can find some nuisance code violation if you push it. Meantime, do the laundry after dark, the squeegee the pond to disburse it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"orangetrader" wrote

I find it hard to believe the code enforcer did not immediately deem the liquid waste water as "sewage".

Reply to
Doc

My neighbor knows because when I did it the first time I made sure I let them know what that was and assured them it will only last a couple of weeks until I can get it fixed. The know it is water and soap.

and I am not Jesus, nor am I dude.

orangetrader

"orangetrader" wrote

So, you think it would be ok to run your tub water, kitchen sink water, dishwater water, lav water, and all other water from your home except toilet water outside onto the lawn?

For your question regarding sewage on a car. I guess if you shit in it and then rinse the shit onto the sidewalk, there would be issues.

Reply to
Doc

And how long have you been doing it.....? Two weeks, or is it longer than that?

I agree with the other guy... I'd report your dumb ass too.

Reply to
Dan C

Tony is a good guy, don't be rude to him. Many Arizonians are presently washing their cars with prehistoric water, pumped out of the prehistoric bowels of the earth.. That's a factoid i learned at the Desert Museum in Tucson. Americans will eventually need to take water from Canadian rivers, and they will do so, with or without consent.

JohnK

Reply to
Porky

The generally accepted definition of sewage is " waste matter carried away in sewers or drains ".

Water runoff from a car wash isn't sewage. Unless it is a commercial car wash and the drain is plumbed to a sewer or drain.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hi, In my city washing car at home is illegal, what you are doing is illegal here. = pollution. Most soap is non-biodegradable. Your local government may be different. You mean your house has grey water drain problem? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This would be a definite health and safety violation in many jurisdictions. Laundry discharge can be quite hazardous if you happen to have a household resident carrying infectious diseases. Maybe you don't wash cloth diapers or soiled bedding, but the regulations are designed to protect the public from people who do.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Hi, Calgary Alberta. My brother worked for city water department. It's bylaw often not reinforced but one can get ticket. We're talking about storm sewer water recycling, oil industry water reccycling, water conserving fixtures in all new houses, program for people to swap out old toilets, water meter, etc. We're trying to be ready years from now. Water is getting scarce even here. Every drop counts. Older brush car wash place is being phased out. No touch brushless water conserving ultrasonic car wash is taking over. U.S. is No. 1 energy user/polluter in the world. U.S. better take a lead in this field as well. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang