Discharging gray water to back alley

Page 1 of 4
While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our washer, I have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the laundry water out the garage. The water runs across the back yard's concrete paver and end up ponding a little in the back alley.
Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent a code inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said this is temporary and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop immediately.
Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from properties? I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes by hand and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal then, she said that "might" be acceptable. I don't understand...
You are fucking kidding me, right? I gotta say if my neighbor were draining ANYTHING into an open area, yea, I'd complain too. How the hell are your neighbors supposed to know what you are draining?
Jesus dude, have some respect for the people around you. Drain your fucking laundy into your bathtub.
"Any laundry detergent I've heard of is completely biodegradable."
That's for sure. Plus I don't think I'd live in a city where you normally can't wash a car at home. Where the hell is that?

If the wastewater comes from a toilet, it's SEWAGE ( black-water )
if it comes from a shower, sink, washer, etc.... it's GRAY WATER
In many places gray water is perfectly legal for lawns, gardens, etc.
<rj>

Except during a prolonged drought when the watering of gardens is banned. There is no way they can tell if its potable water or gray water and they are not about to send out a inspector to check. Therefore if your lawn looks refreshingly green because you had been using gray water, watering is watering and you get fined for violating the ban.

Perhaps the OP should dump the grey water into his lawn?

If they cannot cite a code, you can probably fight and win. OTOH, the city has more money and more lawyers than you do. I'm sure they can find some nuisance code violation if you push it. Meantime, do the laundry after dark, the squeegee the pond to disburse it.
"orangetrader" wrote

out
up
code
temporary
properties?
hand
that
I find it hard to believe the code enforcer did not immediately deem the liquid waste water as "sewage".
Why would it be sewage? It is gray water not black water. If you wash your car is the water runoff "sewage"?

end
My neighbor knows because when I did it the first time I made sure I let them know what that was and assured them it will only last a couple of weeks until I can get it fixed. The know it is water and soap.
and I am not Jesus, nor am I dude.

"orangetrader" wrote

your
So, you think it would be ok to run your tub water, kitchen sink water, dishwater water, lav water, and all other water from your home except toilet water outside onto the lawn?
For your question regarding sewage on a car. I guess if you shit in it and then rinse the shit onto the sidewalk, there would be issues.
Tony is a good guy, don't be rude to him. Many Arizonians are presently washing their cars with prehistoric water, pumped out of the prehistoric bowels of the earth.. That's a factoid i learned at the Desert Museum in Tucson. Americans will eventually need to take water from Canadian rivers, and they will do so, with or without consent.
JohnK

That's why there is a Canadian federal law that bans the sale of bulk water from Canada in spite of all the years lobbying from business concerns on both sides of the border.
In some published fact source it is said that Canada has the largest amount of fresh water resources on this planet. Shouldn't we share it with our thirsty southern neighbor and make easy money too? Uhuh.
The long range view is that once the export of bulk water - rivers, glaciers, icebergs - is allowed the demand from the US will be insatiable. If bulk water becomes a tradable commodity it will be very difficult to then restrict its trade without coming up against free trade principles and probably against other ingenuous interpretation of trade laws. Perhaps even leading to war and regime change as Porky realizes.
The higher price water starved American cities , industries and farms will be willing to pay will result in a even higher price of water to Canadian consumers. If enough water is diverted from Canada whole weather systems and ecosystems will be affected. America is indeed super powerful in more ways than one.
I believe there is already one clear example from the Columbia River that flows into the western US. The US has drawn so much water from this river that it is affecting its source in the Canadian Rockies and most of the salmon spawning streams have been degraded. There isn't enough water in most years for the salmon to reach their traditional spawning streams. But due to a bilateral agreement on the management of the river Canada is not allowed to do anything witout US assent, to hold back water to improve salmon spawning conditions although this will improve immensely the health of the river.
Canada does not need to divert any of that water for its own use and the amount involved is minimal and seasonal. To the Americans this "control" is the first crack by Canadians to control their source of water. The bilateral agreement turned out to be a bad deal for Canada and it was suckered because no one thought of those issues at that time. Fortunately in this instance only the salmon will suffer, mainly the American salmon fisheries at that. But it is a very poignant example to Canada about the management of water resources that the US covets. A blanket ban prevents any insidious backdoor breaches.
orangetrader wrote:

The generally accepted definition of sewage is " waste matter carried away in sewers or drains ".
Water runoff from a car wash isn't sewage. Unless it is a commercial car wash and the drain is plumbed to a sewer or drain.
orangetrader wrote:

Hi, In my city washing car at home is illegal, what you are doing is illegal here. = pollution. Most soap is non-biodegradable. Your local government may be different. You mean your house has grey water drain problem? Tony

Any laundry detergent I've heard of is completely biodegradable.
says...

This would be a definite health and safety violation in many jurisdictions. Laundry discharge can be quite hazardous if you happen to have a household resident carrying infectious diseases. Maybe you don't wash cloth diapers or soiled bedding, but the regulations are designed to protect the public from people who do.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Hi, Calgary Alberta. My brother worked for city water department. It's bylaw often not reinforced but one can get ticket. We're talking about storm sewer water recycling, oil industry water reccycling, water conserving fixtures in all new houses, program for people to swap out old toilets, water meter, etc. We're trying to be ready years from now. Water is getting scarce even here. Every drop counts. Older brush car wash place is being phased out. No touch brushless water conserving ultrasonic car wash is taking over. U.S. is No. 1 energy user/polluter in the world. U.S. better take a lead in this field as well. Tony
wrote

Fuckin' A it does!

Screw you Canucks. Eat our acid rain and shut your pieholes.