Diesel Fuel in Heating Oil Furnace

Page 1 of 2
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Great idea! I don't see why not, it's the same fuel, one has die, one doesn't. Don't feel bad, your not the only one. I'm at 4.69, did mine 3rd week in July.....
Brian V wrote:

Die? Dead fuel? I hope you meant "dye"? Well, Halloween is close. *snicker*
TDD
die: cease to live dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmmm, There is another die = mould
on 10/30/2008 11:25 AM Tony Hwang said the following:

..and the feminine form of the German article for 'The'
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Is there no subject that can't be subverted to sex? ;)
Harry K

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider having a different oil company do a delivery or two.
I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.
I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

Folks around here (Maine) that are locked in at the higher prices are buying from other smaller Oil companies and paying cash thus getting a discount as well..I read an artical in the paper about nobody ordering oil through the contract price and the oil companies being stuck with the useless contracts. The guys that pre-paid ARE SCREWED......
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel. When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may look at the color of the fuel to determine if the trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel taxes.
TDD

Opposite. The heating oil is dyed. My delivery slip reads: Dyed unmarked heating oil: not for use in highway or non-highway, locomotive or marine engines.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's the tax man's rule. Most people say screw the tax man.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
I did the pre-buy at $4.779. My contract states that there is a penalty if I buy from any other supplier. The fuel company says that they bought a quantity of fuel at the high price to cover the contacts and they would lose money if they didn't sell it. I assume that I am stuck.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
well i guess they'd have to prove you bought it elsewhere. and if you bring home 10 gallons at a time and dump it in, then how the hell they gonna know you didn't just turn your thermostat down?
I did the pre-buy at $4.779. My contract states that there is a penalty if I buy from any other supplier. The fuel company says that they bought a quantity of fuel at the high price to cover the contacts and they would lose money if they didn't sell it. I assume that I am stuck.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Dang, did I get it backwards?
TDD
.Did you, yes
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dog Gonnit! Sometimes I'm lisdexic.
TDD
As I understand it (not being a truck driver) the red dye is in the heating oil. I've bought red kerosene, before.
Anyhow, diesel fuel should work just fine in a home heating plant. I've put diesel fuel in a friend's heating oil tank when he ran out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

What if you add more colors and make it black?
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
any dye in a truck tank and it's a violation. Road taxed fuel is near clear or a slight yellow/green tint.