Diameter of drain from watercloset

In the plumbing section for toilets at HomeDepot, I often see fittings to transition from 4" to 3" diameter drain pipe for toilets. Is 3" diameter acceptable size for toilet drains?
I'm remodeling and must replace most of my bathroom plumbing down to the main drain. Should I consider reinstalling by using 3" PVC? (I currently have 4" dia. cast iron).
Thanks, -Theodore
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 1:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Most codes allow it, but it's between you, your local code and the inspector's interpretation.
✖
On Jun 11, 1:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't know if this will enter into your decision making process, but it is my understanding that cast iron pipes muffle the sound of flushing water much better than PVC. If the pipes run near any type of living space, such as a finished basment, you might want to consider retaining the cast iron.
Add pictures here
✖

If the PVC pipes are hung with the right hangers the sound coupling is minimized. Application of adhesive sound damping mats can get rid of most of the rest of the noise. Second story baths are most likly to make noise, its not always a problem.
Add pictures here
✖

boy we just replaced our bath plumbing above kitchen, just sink and tub.
its very noisey, you can hear the water running...........
a toilet would make more noise
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, 3" is the minimum drain size for toilets. I have heard that modern low flow toilets may even work better with a 3" drain, of course that may be a myth.
Cheers, Wayne
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:21:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How big are your TURDS ? ? ? ? ? ?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:52:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@master.com wrote:

The thing that separates a 3" drain from a 4" drain is a flushed Q-tip. It can tumble down a 4" without getting stuck.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:20:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So if a man drops his 3 inch penis in the toilet it will go down, but not a 4 incher......
Damn, I got a 9 incher. Glad it can be retrieved without going down the pipes !!!
Now we all know why blondes like big dick men ~~~~
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 10:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This, and the one about sound of water rushing, is one of the most reasonalbe points made here. Thanks to all for the technical explanations and advice.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:21:11 -0700, millinghill wrote:

I have a 3" drain system on a septic and everything works fine.

Franz Fripplfrappl
✖