DeWalt drill battery question

I managed to fry one of the batteries to my DeWalt 18v drill , and I'm a bit confused ... My batteries are model DC9098 . I find all kinds of replacement batteries , and one of the most common is a DW , not a DC 9098 . I see a difference in the A/Hour ratings , and wonder if this is the difference in the letter designation . I'd match the battery to the model of the drill , but the tag with the number is damaged . I've been a fan of the Dewalt drills for over 20 years , and until now the only battery failures I've seen were due to not completely draining them to dead before charging . I had a 12v battery last over 6 years ... but this 18v unit died the other day while I was using my drill to mix mortar for the stone work behind my WB stove ... got hot , then nothing and now it won't charge . And I gotta have a 2nd battery , one to use while the other charges .
--
Snag

Bob F wrote:

Not NiCad's , they'll never take a full charge again if you don't discharge them fully before charging . I and a coworker both got identical new drills at the same time . He would slap a fresh battery in as soon as his slowed a little , I'd run mine all the way down . My batteries lasted an average of 4+ years , his were being replaced on average in less than a year .
--
Snag

On 9/17/2014 8:42 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Different strokes. I do it like your buddy does and I have several packs that are nearly 12 years old and work fine. If you take them down much below 1.1V/cell you are not doing them any favors. Your drill may refuse to run before you get there. Thus your good fortune so far.

The problem with "all the way down", is that after a cell gets to zero volts, continued current flow will reverse charge it. Your 4+ years batteries probably had well matched cells that all discharged at the same rate.
When I have trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills are less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.
Fred
On 9/17/2014 12:28 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

How do the prices compare to www.primecell.com ??
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new drill, charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2 batteries.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yup , and I'm considering buyiong another one just like this one for that very reason .
--
Snag

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:11:02 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

They will be made in China though...maybe some in Japan left (Makita, Panasonic).
On 9/17/2014 2:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Yup, I did that last time Lowe's had them on sale for $99. However, you get the smaller batteries. That's ok for me because they are certainly lighter in weight. With the way I use them, I've not noticed a problem. And the big plus for me is that I think my old charger was over charging (in a trickle mode after the light goes out) because the battery always remained warm while on the charger. The new charger with the drill kit, doesn't do that.
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:29:36 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote: However, you

Lithium batteries are smaller/lighten, charge more efficiently...last at least at long. Possibly what you have?
On 9/18/2014 9:41 AM, BenDarrenBach wrote:

>>Lithium batteries are smaller/lighten, charge more efficiently...last >>at least at long. Possibly what you have?
Definitely not. DeWalt does have a smaller NiCd battery with a little less capacity, lighter in weight and slightly smaller in size. I wish they did have a LIon replacement for the 18 volt DeWalt batteries. It might be nice.

If I needed a cordless now, I would look in to that just because of the free batteries for life. I have an 18 volt Dewalt and the batteries seem to be in good shape. I don't use it very often,so they may go bad because they are not used much. I do charge them a couple of times a year.