Devices to determine Air leaks

I am trying to track down the cold air leaks in a house. I remember seeing something that reads the temerature of something when pointed at it, but I don't know what it is called.

Anyone know what the official name is?

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Infrared thermometer. But a blower door test - Air infiltration test, profesionaly done is best. It will show how many air exchanges per day you have , how many you should have, and will pinpoint all your leaks.

Reply to
m Ransley

You mean like an infared (spelling?) camera?

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

I believe the device you're looking for is made by Raytek, and perhaps others.

It's also great for monitoring the temperature of pizza in a brick oven.

An infrared camera probably won't work unless you have special lenses and film that pass and are sensitive to the longer length thermal IR.

I agree with the suggestion that a survey by someone who knows what they're doing using a blower door is the best way to go.

RB

DaveG wrote:

Reply to
RB

If you're looking for a "point and read" type device, check out Omega instruments at

They have a handheld temperature scanner for something like $75.

Your local gas or electric company might do a scan for a nominal fee or even for free.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)