Dehumidifiers

Well, my 4+ year old humidifier, GE, while still working, was one of the models made in China by Gree and is being recalled. While it worked ok, the recall was because units have been know to overheat and/or burst into flames. Supposedly, I will be getting a check for $219 in the next week or so. When I originally bought this unit, it was basically an emergency, so there was no time to research it. This time I was not in a hurry so I've looked on the internet for reviews. I think I'm now more confused than ever. So, here's my question, what unit do you all think is good? I guess after my recent experience, a US built unit might be nice, however, I'm not really sure how much that really matters. I'm looking for something in the 50 - 70 pint capacity and hopefully quieter than the previous. It also must have a gravity hose drain. It would be really nice if the unit has some kind of remote sensor because the units with an internal sensor must run the fan continuously in order to get accurate humidity readings. I don't really believe this exits, except for the > $1000 built-in units. Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/4/14 9:16 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

Consumer Reports has the Danby DDR60A3GP as a Best Buy in the large capacity units. 60 pint/day, $250. Frigidaire FAD704DWD is rated second, 70 pint/day, also $250.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:16:48 PM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:

If you got the recall notice, I think sadly you have a lot of info right there. Wasn't there a list of many different companies that were all being recalled because they were made by the same company in China or wherever? I think there are only a couple of factories that make these and they are overseas and produce stuff that is about the same. From personal experience, they typically don't last more than about 4 years. One thing I would consider is getting the extended warranty. Normally I never get one of those. But there things are so unreliable, I'd at least consider it. When buying the last one, I was negotiating with the guy at the store against online pricing. I finally got him to the point where it was like $30 more for his, but that included the extended warranty, so I took it. The thing failed about 2 years later.
Even then, you have some more games. When I took the failed one back, they no longer had that model. The closest one they had was like 70 pints vs the 60 pint failed one. So, I had two choices. I could leave the failed one for repair, timeframe totally uncertain, or for $30 more, I could walk out with the 70 pint unit. I chose the latter. Still it was a good deal. That one has been working OK for a couple years now. But like you say, the fan stays on all the time. I think with the previous one, the fan cycled, but not sure. I'll take a look and see what make it is, and get back to you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Art Todesco wrote:

Take a close look at the details on that recall. When I looked I found the reported fires were a tiny fraction of a percent of the total units sold, and further, the fire picture shown on a recall site clearly showed the dehumidifier remains next to an open sump pump pit. If it's next to an open sump pit the poor thing will never shut off and it's no surprise it might overheat.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, May 5, 2014 10:03:25 AM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:

It seems like tha that horse has already left the stable. He said he's waiting for his refund check. Also there is no reason a dehumidifier should overheat and catch fire, even if it's running 24/7. For sure people use them when the have a basement flood and need to run it for days to dry it out. That shouldn't cause a fire. Neither should putting it near a sump pit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Art Todesco wrote:

My Soleous dehumidifier was recalled as well. It was blessed by Consumer Reports, worked well and never caught fire. A family member had a Kenmore that was also recalled. His ran 24/7 for a year or so (basement is a swamp) without a problem. I removed the covers from mine. The only thing I noticed that might hint at a problem was a piece of thermal insulation separating the rear cover from the compressor body. Was this to prevent the plastic from softening and touching the hot surface? Probably. Leaving the cover off solves that one.
After sending the original plug off to Gree as rebate proof, I put a new plug on the dehumidifier. I'm tempted to continue using it, but only when I'm nearby. Yes, I know my homeowner's insurance won't cover damage if my recalled unit catches fire. I wish the recall notice had included some detail about why the units failed. Gree has probably tested the hell out their redesign. We hope.
Finding a dehumidifier not made in China might be difficult, and "US built" is no guarantee of safety. For sure, I will not allow any brand of dehumidifier to run unattended.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:24:52 AM UTC-4, Bryce wrote:

Some here will tell you that. But I'm not so sure. Insurance companies pay off all the time if you leave a pot of oil on your stove and go next door to talk to the neighbor. Or leave a 4x4 laying on the sidewalk and someone trips and gets hurt. Not sure exactly how continuing to use a recalled product is so different from any of those.
I wish the recall notice had included some

For the typical use in a basement, that would keep you very busy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.