Dehumidifier trouble?

I have a 5 year old dehumidifier that seems to be broken. No matter what settings I use, low/hi fan, very dry, less dry, it doesn't work. The main line from the compressor to the coils freezes and develops about a one inch diameter of ice around it, but the body of coils never get cold.

Is this thing shot already?

Reply to
JJ

If the fan works they freeze usualy under 65f or with low freon, I wonder if you could recharge it easily maybe with freon sold in small cans.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like low freon. I've repaired this kind of thing, but hardly worth the trouble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fan not running will cause the same problem. Fix the fan before you toss it. You might could sit it in front of a box fan or something to se if this will fix the problem.

Reply to
Jimmie D

Like it or not, the cheap inputs from China often have effective anti-freeze protection. Like a window air conditioner, a dehumidifier more than 5 years old just isn't worth messing with.

Think hard about using them. They consume a good amount of electricity and you can often obtain the same result by improving air circulation to where you want to use a dehumidifier.

Reply to
John Gilmer