dehumidifier problem

What kinds of things can go wrong with a dehumidifier. Mine seems to be running but not making much of a dent in the humidity levels. It is a Danby40. The coils within seem to be cold enough but could they be colder? Is there a humidistat that needs replacing, etc...

Thanks

Reply to
edee_em

If it is running full time and the coils are cold that is the best it can do.

Common problems would include the coils frosting up. Are your coils frosting up? Also location and size of the unit can be issues.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The coils are cold and not frosting. The unit is a 40 pint model and is in my finished basement. I have a humidistat down there reading 60% humidity, but as I mentioned, after running all day it might lower that to 58%. Time for a new one?

Thanks

Reply to
edee_em

Maybe due for a cleaning (all the coils) or a larger version (or a second 40 pt) or maybe the way you are using it.

Your home absorbs lots of moisture and it may take days of continuous use for that dehumidifier to dry out an area. If you open the windows and let in moist air, it can reduce the effectiveness. I would expect it may well take several days of continuous operation for that unit to dry out the area. Then it may be able to cycle on and off to maintain it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks Joe.

Reply to