Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

Hi,
I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the value of the entire unit?
Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Northing special about it, but they can charge what they want to. You can often find motors at other sources, such as www.grainger.com or www.repairclinic.com Gibson is made by Frigidaire If it is a proprietary motor the seller can gouge you as they see fit. Half the cost is cheap if the unit is relatively new, expensive if it is five or more years old since it may die of other causes soon anyway.
I was out of town one time away from my parts suppliers. A friend's dehum wasn't working, and it was the fan. I went to Kmart, and bought a little table top fan, with pedestal base. Some serious modification later, and I had the table top fan cut to shape, shrouded, wired in, and going. Asked a couple months later, and it was running nicely.
You don't always need to use the factory spec part to make something work. All you need, here, is air flow.
Remit 48.50 for advice, please.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.