deficiency list and final payment question

I am at the end of a reno and my contractor is looking to get paid. I have a deficiency list and I also need to have a final inspection performed.
Is it the norm to wait to have my final building inspection as well as all things on my deficiency list taken care of before cutting a check for final payment?

What does your contract state?
"Upon completion" means just that, but if there are deficiencies, the job is not complete. If there are deficiencies, it would be common to hold back some portion of the final payment. If you think it would take $1000 to do the fixes, it would seem fair to hold back that much or even double that as an incentive, but not to hold back $100,000.
Yes, I held back 10% til everything was finished. Even at that, the builder didnt come back for 8 months. We finally did the work ourselves and spent the balance on a Trip for Two to Hawaii