Deadbolt Stuck in Locked Position

Hi,
I have a deadbolt, which is opened by a key, on the front door. Today, it stopped working. You can turn the key clockwise and counterclockwise without much resistance, though there is some grab, which moves the deadbolt just a hair, and that's it.
From the inside, you can turn the latch left and right, but it does stop in the normal positions. but same story, the deadbolt won't retract, and the door remains locked foerever.
I have been able to remove the backplate of the lock, the side inside the house, with a screwdriver, and see 4 holes on the back of the lock, staring at me, but they won't tell me what to do. The lock is still in place, nice and tight.
There's no name on it, just a plain generic brass colored deadbolt lock. It might be "U.S. Lock" since that name is on a brass plate on another same-looking lock in the house.
Is there any way I can fix it, or at least get the lock out, so I can take it somewhere and get it fixed, or buy a new one?
I don't want to have to have a locksmith come out to the house and deplete me of several days wages in a half hour.
And, by the way, if worst case scenario comes true, what would a locksmith charge to come out, and put a new lock in, in eastern Pennsylvania ????
Thanks,
Hosed in Pa

Going from memory, there should be a slot or square hole in the center that the stem on the tumbler goes through. 'try to turn it by putting a flat blade screwdriver into it. Thee are more experience locksmiths here though that can probaly be of more help to you.

Figure about $75 to $125 to show up. Parts extra
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:58:15 -0700 (PDT), utilitarian

Just what do you expect to hear? Looking at a lock?!!
Oh, the joys of having a junk deadbolt. Sigh. US Lock is typically China or Taiwan stuff, made to provide the lowest possible price. Not much we can counsell you over the internet. Take your yellow pages phone book in hand, and look under "locks and locksmiths".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
utilitarian wrote:

A picture would help.
Look at the inside of the thumbturn and try to figure out how it operates the mechanism in the door.
If you use a pointed knife, you should be able to stick it between the door and the jam and pry the deadbolt back into the door. It takes many moves. And it only works if the deadbolt has been moved a little by the key/thumbturn.
You could try asking on alt.locksmithing
--
bud--

Sounds like you've got a broken lock.
Just disassemble the lock & replace it with one that you have keyed to match.
cheers Bob
Maybe the lock is already broken and need to replace it with new one. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
utilitarian wrote:

You have my sympathy for some of the replies on this thread.