Damaged Dining Room Table finish

Need help. Dumb me put a basket of oven warm bread on our dining room table without a hot pad. When I removed it after dinner wife was quick to point out I damaged her table. There was a white mark where basket had been. I used some liquid gold and the whiteness is gone but there is still a clear area where it was. Any ideas outisde of refinishing the whole table to fix it? I assume it might be damage to the varnish finish?
Thanks
email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end TIA Hank

Rub a small dab of mayonaise into the white mark with a soft cloth. If that don't work you've got a serious finishing job in your future.

Can't answer I'm not a good wood refinisher! And would welcome similar advice. Because we have a wood dining table with an impaired finish. I think what happened was that some sort of spray wax (Possibly 'Pledge'?) which softened the finish was used. At one point a table cover even stuck slightly to the top and has left a slight pattern in what was originally a shiny finish. So; whatever solution is followed it would be great if the information could be posted here. Regards.

Let it rest a few weeks before your experiments, moisture got into it.