cutting floor tile

Page 2 of 2

When I said "I made all my cuts on an inexpensive wet saw" I should have added that it was really inexpensive: A friend bought it at HD and I borrowed it! :-)
I don't know what he paid but I think it was between $100 and $150.
I recall that something was broken...the fence or miter gauge or guard or something. I fixed whatever it was - I think I had to make some kind of part, but what he got back was better than what he lent me.
I found out a year later that he left outside all winter and it got trashed. Don't know what I'm gonna do next time I have to tile something. ;-)

That is cheating! Just wish I could have done the same but new city, old neighborhood and didn't know anyone.

If you can't negotiate a new tool out of any project then you shouldn't be doing it. That is always a condition for any project that I undertake and I do at least one major project every year. (Make that only one major project every year.) This year is gutting and remodeling the kitchen. Building all the cabinets myself so that required a new table saw, dovetail jig, router table and router. Cabinets done, drawers done (14) and about half of the 32 cabinet doors complete. A few more weekends and I will be ready to install. The only thing I am dreading is pulling out the old tile floor and replacing with wood. My knees just don't like all that crawling around anymore. ? Wonder what tool I could negotiate for that?

re: "My knees just don't like all that crawling around anymore"
I've resigned myself to using knee pads and large sheets of cardboard a long time ago. I have a rubber kneeling pad that hangs out near my toolbox which I often toss in the van.
No vanity issues for me - I ain't proud!
I caught softball for many years and my knees keep reminding me about how much fun I had.
<stuff snipped>
<<re: "My knees just don't like all that crawling around anymore"
I've resigned myself to using knee pads and large sheets of cardboard a long time ago. I have a rubber kneeling pad that hangs out near my toolbox which I often toss in the van.
No vanity issues for me - I ain't proud!
I caught softball for many years and my knees keep reminding me about how much fun I had.>>
Wait a few years. Then you'll be thinking "if only I could get UP from the floor after I've been down on my knees." I've tried everything - auto maintenance dollies, custom dollies, kneepads, cardboard, old pillows, blocks of foam, etc. I've got a tile repair to make in the kitchen that I have been putting off waiting for a "good knee day" but so far, no luck. What I need is something like an engine hoist to raise and lower me to the ground. Being there isn't any near as hard as getting there!
P.S. - No softball here. Nothing fun I can remember. The knees just blew out, both within six months of each other.
)-:
-- Bobby G.
BobR wrote:

checkbook?
hiring a tiler would be cheaper than 2 knee replacements.
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:26:04 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I got a wet saw from HD for around 70 bucks earlier in the year - it's poor construction quality in terms of the plastic-fantastic chassis, but it did the job I needed to do without screwing up any tiles. I've got a couple more floors I want to do with it sometime, so figured it'd be cheaper than renting each time.
cheers
Jules
<stuff snipped>

Nipple? (0:
-- Bobby G.

Thanks for the many useful replies. A few responses -
-- re-scoring - I'm a little skeptical about re-scoring. I was taught in stained glass class that a single score is best, re-scoring tends to mess up both the score and the cutter. I don't know if that strictly applies here but I have scored and snapped a lot of glass, and many thinner tiles, without undue problems. In short, I think the scoring is fine, I know how a good score feels, sounds and looks.
-- dowel method - I'll try that and see how it goes. Sounds like it might work well as long as the cut is close to the middle of the tile; might be awkward if the cut is way over to one side.
-- wet saw - sounds like I may need to do that after all. I like the idea of laying the full tiles first, saving all the cuts for the end. I do have an HF and borg stores nearby so I might look around and decide if renting or buying is better. I am, as others have mentioned, learning as I go. That has worked for me before.
-- having the store cut them - I'm not sure the big box offers that kind of service, but I will ask next time I'm in there to pick up some more tile. I'm doing the job a little at a time as time permits (and to spare my back).
-- hardwood clamp jigs - that sounds like fun, I might try that too.
Thanks, -- H