cutting a steel girder??

We have a steel girder cemented in as a parking spot market...it is vertically installed. I would like to cut it off at the ground since I don't think it's advantageous to dig it up (concrete and blacktop)...is there a good way to cut this thing at ground level? I was thinking of getting an angle gringer, but it is thick steel...probably 1/4 or 3/8" thick...any thoughts? I don't have a welder or any heavy equipment.
<< I don't have a welder or any heavy equipment. >>
Several options here: rent a torch set, rent a plasma cutter, call an oufit that has portable equipment and pay therm to do it. Alternatively, a savvy construction person could probably put a chain around it and yank it out of the ground with minimal damage. HTH
Joe
I've cut through 1/4" steel with a sawzall and a metal cutting blade with no problems.

A ten dollar angle grinder cut through my 4" cast pipes when I was doing a major plumbing redo, and it still performs like a champ. And the discs are cheap.

To give you perspective on the capability of the angle-grinder http://www.anglegrinderman.co.uk/home.htm

Sounds like a sawzall job to me. Rent a good one rather than own a cheap one. Buy several blades, you can return them if you don't use them. Avoid a torch, cutting right at grade is difficult, blows holes in concrete, and looks bad for a long time. An angle cutter and weld cutting disks will work. I own all of the above and a backhoe and would still use the recip saw.
#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (db) wrote in message

A heavy drill with good cutting disc and patience.