Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

Page 1 of 2
Greetings All!
Just got an empty 55 gal. drum from a local eatery that held vegetable oil. I'd like to use it as a burn barrel, but the only opening is a small hole in the top for a syphon pump of some kind.
Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off. My experience with metal working is limited to high school shop which is longer ago than I care to think about ;-).
Thanks in advance!
-Barry
Barry wrote:

Be very, very careful...I once saw a man blown to bits because he was grinding on a barrel that had once held diesel fuel. The fuel was long gone, barrel had been filled/emptied with water several times; nevertheless, when he cut through the side a spark ignited diesel fumes and BOOM!
I know vegetable oil isn't diesel oil but it still burns.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:23:57 -0500, Barry

You can use a sawsall, a jigsaw, a giant can opener, an axe, or a cutting torch. If you cut the entire top inch off, you can use a circular saw. Preferably with a cutoff wheel in it.

Grainger's $50 can opener does a good job, with smooth edges.
Nick

Fill it with water and put a metal cutting blade on whatever saw you happen to own and carve it off. The water will keep it from igniting if that is even possible with vegetable oil...good luck....

With water int it??? It had better be a cordless saw!!!!!!!!!

Why? The blade won't rust.
wrote in message

water and corded electric power tools do not mix well.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Done properly, the tool won't see the water. It is not like standing in the bathtub with a toaster.
wrote in message

I'll let you do the cutting while I call 911 : (
wrote in message

Ok, but there will be no need to call anyone expect your mother to tell her what a good idea you have to cut drums now. Only the blade touches water, not the entire saw.
wrote in message

And the blade is not going to toss water around,or water run out from the cut?? Maybe to leak onto the power tool? Or you won't end up standing in a puddle while holding a corded power tool?
It really is not a smart thing to do.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I would use a pneumatic cutting tool.

I always just used a hatchet and large hammer, took about 5 minutes to go around the barrel, keep the hatchet close to the rim and it will be pretty smooth. Then used a pick to punch breather holes around the bottom.
wrote in message

I did suggest that in one of my posts. Either a airpowered grinder or shear.(like auto customizers use)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Barry wrote:

Sawzall. Take the top off anything.

Agreed. BTDT with the Sawzall to do exactly the same thing. You might consider ear plugs. It gets noisy.
Barry wrote:

I had a summer job in an oil field once, and the way we did it was with a pipe wrench and a small sledge hammer. Go around the top with the pipe wrench jaw just over the rim and whack it with the hammer. Then move it an inch and whack it again. Repeat. It does a surprisingly good job and turns the rough edge down. Takes a while though...
Bob

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

I have done the same thing a number of times.