Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

Greetings All!

Just got an empty 55 gal. drum from a local eatery that held vegetable oil. I'd like to use it as a burn barrel, but the only opening is a small hole in the top for a syphon pump of some kind.

Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off. My experience with metal working is limited to high school shop which is longer ago than I care to think about ;-).

Thanks in advance!

-Barry

Reply to
Barry

Be very, very careful...I once saw a man blown to bits because he was grinding on a barrel that had once held diesel fuel. The fuel was long gone, barrel had been filled/emptied with water several times; nevertheless, when he cut through the side a spark ignited diesel fumes and BOOM!

I know vegetable oil isn't diesel oil but it still burns.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

You can use a sawsall, a jigsaw, a giant can opener, an axe, or a cutting torch. If you cut the entire top inch off, you can use a circular saw. Preferably with a cutoff wheel in it.

Reply to
Goedjn

Fill it with water and put a metal cutting blade on whatever saw you happen to own and carve it off. The water will keep it from igniting if that is even possible with vegetable oil...good luck....

Reply to
Ross Mac

Grainger's $50 can opener does a good job, with smooth edges.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Sawzall. Take the top off anything.

Reply to
LM

I had a summer job in an oil field once, and the way we did it was with a pipe wrench and a small sledge hammer. Go around the top with the pipe wrench jaw just over the rim and whack it with the hammer. Then move it an inch and whack it again. Repeat. It does a surprisingly good job and turns the rough edge down. Takes a while though...

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

I have done the same thing a number of times.

Reply to
EXT

With water int it??? It had better be a cordless saw!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Air chisel with v shaped blade for cutting sheetmetal. Leave a lip you can bend downward. Don't cut off the top ring, or the barrell will lose a lot of its rigidity.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Stop by local muffler shop, and pay them five bucks to do it with their air-powered cold chisel?

The guy that mentioned the giant can opener was right- that is how people in the business do it. Might call around to local rental places and see if they have that tool in their library. Don't know what the proper name is, but if you describe the situation, it should ring a bell for them. The rentall place will have electric chisels.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Same here. Doesn't take very long either. Seems like everybody ignores the simple solution for the 'more power' methods.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why? The blade won't rust.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Saw this method used in a third world salvage yard. Grab a comfortable length of car suspension spring, probably 24 inches long. Cut one end at 45 deg or thereabouts and sharpen that. Hold the other end of the spring and use a hammer to hit the end with the sharp edge to cut whatever part of the steel barrel you want. Those guys were removing barrel lids and cutting windows on the barrel's sides like there was no tomorrow.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

After you start it with a chisel, you can use a Sawzall (with the metal blade of course) to finish cutting it.

Reply to
Jonathan Grobe

For a better burning barrel, cut *both* ends out in a manner suggested by others. Set the remaining cylinder on a grate (the heavier the better) supported by concrete blocks or such. This will allow more air to get to your fire providing more complete combustion and less ashes.

Steve

41N
Reply to
Steve IA

the name you're looking for is drum deheader.

Reply to
Matt Howell

Sounds better. One of my neighbors made a "grate" by pushing several rebars through holes near the bottom. A bottomless drum on a concrete block U would get lots of airflow, and it would be easy to shovel ashes out.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Indeed it does burn better. Load it with trash, shove a few crumpled sheets of newspaper under it and stand back. Will go like a blow torch. Been doing it since 1978. Barrels don't last as long though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K