Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

It's amazing to me that at a time when we are all paying big bucks to try to clean the air, there are still places that allow this kind of burning to go on. How many cars do you think it takes to equal the pollution put out by one trash burning drum?

Reply to
trader4

I give up. How many?

Reply to
ronm

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:8Hfaf.1444$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

water and corded electric power tools do not mix well.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"SteveB" wrote in news:9adaf.47546$fE5.35972@fed1read06:

Air powered grinder with cut-off disc. Or air-powered shears like auto body workers use to cut bodywork. No electricity to electrocute you.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Agreed. BTDT with the Sawzall to do exactly the same thing. You might consider ear plugs. It gets noisy.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Empty the barrel. Pour in 1/4 cup of gasoline. dig deep hole. roll barrel around a while. run long fuse from barrel to ditch. Hide in hole, check for air-traffic, light fuse. Hunt around the neighborhood for the barrel. Hide from the BATF, who will charge you with constructing an incendiary/explosive device.

Reply to
Goedjn

Done properly, the tool won't see the water. It is not like standing in the bathtub with a toaster.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is a metal 55 gallon drum? Very often those have a lid that you can remove. There will be a band around the top (similar to a hose clamp) which you can loosen and then take off, allowing the lid to be taken off. Otherwise, you can just cut it with a jigsaw. Drill a pilot hole and start from there. The metal is fairly thin.

Reply to
m4rcone

Who said anything about burn barrels being allowed??

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I use a small air hammer. There is a special chisel that has a notch in it for cutting sheet metal. I just cut around the inside edge of the top. Works fast and with a much smaller chance of any kind of ignition and makes a nice clean edge if you stay close to the bead. Filling it with water helps prevent fire, holds the barrel in place and helps muffle the sound.

Reply to
wicked

I'll let you do the cutting while I call 911 : (

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Ok, but there will be no need to call anyone expect your mother to tell her what a good idea you have to cut drums now. Only the blade touches water, not the entire saw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Krwcf.4871$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

And the blade is not going to toss water around,or water run out from the cut?? Maybe to leak onto the power tool? Or you won't end up standing in a puddle while holding a corded power tool?

It really is not a smart thing to do.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I would use a pneumatic cutting tool.

Reply to
Larry Bud

experience

I always just used a hatchet and large hammer, took about 5 minutes to go around the barrel, keep the hatchet close to the rim and it will be pretty smooth. Then used a pick to punch breather holes around the bottom.

Reply to
Bill Miller

"Larry Bud" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I did suggest that in one of my posts. Either a airpowered grinder or shear.(like auto customizers use)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Even easier, less tools - get a rag soaked in methylated spirits, toss it in & run, then angle grind the top off...

Reply to
glenn P

I'd use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade. And ear muffs :-) But you'll be through that in a few minutes.

Reply to
Marc