Cutting a 4x4

Either bite the bullet, and buy a 10" compound miter, OR

Get a couple of lath strips, about 3/8" thick by 1.5" wide, and nail them on the board to be cut with small nails. Put them on both sides of the board, and on the side where it will contact the guide properly. A little extra work, but will give a nice looking cut.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And if you do that- you'll thank yourself every time you use it.

I'm with the others who don't care for the plan you picked -- but no matter what the plan-- and no matter what else you build in the future, being able to make precise cuts at slight angles always comes in handy.

I think if it was 1970 and I was building my shop again- First I'd buy a compressor-- then I'd buy a compound miter saw. I'd still buy the $100 HF compressor-- and if I knew I was going to live this long I'd probably still buy the $500 Bosch compound miter.

I'd probably go with pencil lines and a handsaw-- but that'll work, too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

For $110 the 10" HF SCMS isn't too bad.

Last year I replaced my $100HF with a $600 12" Bosch. The HF still works and I'm planning on keeping it for use outside.

Reply to
krw

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

I got a good Dewalt at a yard sale. If I knew these saws were that good, I would have definitely bought one sooner. The new ones with the laser are the cat's meow. If you can figure the angles and transpose those to the saw, WYSIWYG.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I was not assuming that, I was simply stating that a standard 7 1/4 inch Circular saw cuts deeper than 1.5 inches. What I did assume was that the OP would recognize this statement for what it said and infer that he was either mistaken in the 1.5" depth of cut limitation, or regard it as a response to his request for recommendations of a differnt type of saw that could make a 1.75" deep cut. My mistake was in assuming that any other readers would also recognize this statement for what it was worth withouth imagining what assumptions I might have had.

Reply to
Larry W

Yeah that works well. Put a 12" blade on a 7" saw, duh!

Reply to
G. Morgan

If you have one without a laser, they make laser "pucks" that replace the blade washer/stabilizer for around $25.

Reply to
krw

That's not the worst of it. My first assumption was a small circ saw. I've been using a 6 1/4 for years. That almost got through 6" x 6" 's cutting 4 sides. The waste broke off on the last cut and I hit the nubs with a file. But he said Skil saw. He might just have a jigsaw. That's the first power saw I owned.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have a Craftsman 7 1/4" compound miter slider. A 10" would have made it easier, but it did the trick when I was doing new woodwork. I'm cheap. Thought the laser was basically useless since I match my mark with the fence kerf. Then I found myself trimming to fit. That laser is nice. You can shave 1/32 easily using the laser. More accurate than kerf matching.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

There is also an assumption somewhere in there that a 4 x 4 actually is 4" square. It is not.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Harbor Freight has an adapter for just about everything.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Yep! I found it amazingly accurate. The only issue I have is that the laser draws on the left edge of the kerf, so all measurements are to the left[*] (unless you add the kerf).

[*] not a real problem, since I'm right-handed and my left is holding the "good" piece.
Reply to
krw

wrote

I'm left handed and still hold the wood that way. It would be awkward to do it opposite.

I guess the laser could be handy, but I always bring the blade down and touch the mark before starting the saw. That way, I'm sure my holding hand is out of the way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I suppose. Not being left-handed, it's hard to imagine working the "other" way.

It's really great on compound miters. Setup is a breeze, just make one "reference" cut and it can be easily matched with the laser.

Reply to
krw