Curing concrete

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure proper curing of concrete?

Reply to
ls02

Keep it wet.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You can reduce the need to keep putting water in it by wetting it down and covering it with plastic for a couple days.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

For the footings, I'd just cover them with plastic for at least 24 hours-- If you can wait a few days before uncovering, all the better.

I used a sealer on a slab in my basement and was pleased with the results. It gets sprayed on liberally as soon as the concrete stops puddle-ing. It slows evaporation so you don't get surface cracks. It was about 1 year ago & the slab still looks wet. That may or may not be what you want for your patio, but it is worth looking into.

Just remember that concrete doesn't reach full [95% anyway] hardness for a month. Take it easy on it especially around the edges.

[and air-entraining that patio is a good idea] Jim
Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength end result.

You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.

Reply to
Sum Guy

Kind of depends on the ground. If the ground was wet where you dug then it is less likely to draw water out of the concrete.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Aside from listening to your concrete contractor's advice just keep it slightly damp for the first 24.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Yeah, right. Like the world stops when it gets hot. Concrete has been placed for centuries in hot weather. The problems are not insurmountable, and waiting is not really an intelligent option.

Wet it down and cover it with plastic. Wet it until it the concrete turns dark, and maybe a little more. How often you have to wet it down will depend on many factors, but the answer is the same - keep it wet and dark. Don't drown it.

RicodJour

You should be using plastic under the concrete.

Reply to
gfretwell

There's already too much plastic being buried...then again, I suppose if we bury it all and wait around for long enough, we'll be replenishing the oil 'aquifer'.

RicodJour

You could have been "less-stupid" by not assuming that any concrete had already been placed or that the substrate was dry enough to draw moisture from it.

Reply to
Larry W

You could have been "less-stuped" by not assuming that any concrete had already been poured or that the underlying substrate was so dry that it would draw moisture off.

Reply to
Larry W

ROTFLMAO. Hit the send again, PLEASE!. Looks like stupidity may be contagious here. I needs to be careful.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Larry was responding to Sum Guy. Why are you taking exception and amusement in his response to someone else's...? Oh, wait. You're a nym shifter. Got it. Nevermind.

RicodJour

You are stating what the conditions are or will be.

You did not ask if it would be a better idea to wait unti the ambient temperature drops.

Don't play logical games with words - you don't seem up to the challenge.

Reply to
Sum Guy

Yes, and he responded twice. Or didn't you comprehend that?

Reply to
Sum Guy

ls02 wrote in news:88e4452b-c03f-4196-b5f1- snipped-for-privacy@l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Concrete reaches over 90% of it's max strength in about 7 days. It takes 28 days to reach full max strength. Since the 90% value is most likely good enough (most designs have a safety factor) the 7 day period is often used as time frame to keep it wet and to protect it from high loads. Actually damp is as good or better than wet, especially for the first few hours, because you only need to prevent the drying action. As another poster said

- cover with plastic sheets to keep it wet as it would dry in a few hours if uncovered.

Spraying it with curing compound helps a lot. It doesn't eliminate the need to keep the surface damp but it helps a lot with surface hardness which can avoid spauling. If its more than a few hours old it is too late to get much benefit from curing compound so don't bother then.

Reply to
Reno

They say the Panama Canal locks were still hardening 65 years later. Maybe longer.

Reply to
mm

According to the TV shows, Hoover Dam will still be curing for another century or so.

Reply to
aemeijers

Rather guess or spread misinformation.......

PCA - Portland Cement Association is a great source of accurate information

U of Texas - Austin has done a great deal of research on concrete

are the two parameters which effect the maturity of the concrete. Concret= e that experiences elevated temperatures has a maturity (cure / strength) e= qual to concrete with longer cure at 70 F. Thus, "normal 28 day strength" = may be achieved much sooner at higher temperatures.

fyi

1) 28 days is not maximum strength merely a commonly agreed upon point in time to test concrete strength (as are 3 day & 7 day tests) 2) most concrete mix designs under "normal curing conditions" are not a 90% max strength in 7 days........ more like 75% of 28 day strength

Once concrete is surfaced cured sufficiently to avoid spray damage, keep it wet (don't let surface dry out) for a few days or ideally several days (longer is better). Cover with plastic, burlap, carpet or spray on curing compounds. Wetter is better as is longer.

Water applied to surface or cure compounds are to ensure that sufficient water is present in the curing concrete to allow for complete hydration of the cement reaction.

Applied water replaces water lost to evap, soil or forms. Compounds are supposed to keep evap down.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK