Curing concrete

Page 1 of 2

How much and how often do I need to sprinkle with water newly poured concrete patio and footings? I am in NJ and temperature is over 90 degrees, humidity is almost 100%. Anything else I need to do to ensure proper curing of concrete?
Add pictures here
✖
ls02 wrote:

Keep it wet.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 5, 10:09 am, "Jon Danniken"

You can reduce the need to keep putting water in it by wetting it down and covering it with plastic for a couple days.
Add pictures here
✖

For the footings, I'd just cover them with plastic for at least 24 hours-- If you can wait a few days before uncovering, all the better.
I used a sealer on a slab in my basement and was pleased with the results. It gets sprayed on liberally as soon as the concrete stops puddle-ing. It slows evaporation so you don't get surface cracks. It was about 1 year ago & the slab still looks wet. That may or may not be what you want for your patio, but it is worth looking into.

Just remember that concrete doesn't reach full [95% anyway] hardness for a month. Take it easy on it especially around the edges.
[and air-entraining that patio is a good idea] Jim
Add pictures here
✖

They say the Panama Canal locks were still hardening 65 years later. Maybe longer.
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

According to the TV shows, Hoover Dam will still be curing for another century or so.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
ls02 wrote:

You could have been less-stupid and put off pouring it until the temperature was more optimal for producing a high-quality, high-strength end result.
You're going to have a lot of water loss through the bottom surfaces into the ground - which you can't keep wet from the top side.
Add pictures here
✖

Kind of depends on the ground. If the ground was wet where you dug then it is less likely to draw water out of the concrete.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, right. Like the world stops when it gets hot. Concrete has been placed for centuries in hot weather. The problems are not insurmountable, and waiting is not really an intelligent option.
Wet it down and cover it with plastic. Wet it until it the concrete turns dark, and maybe a little more. How often you have to wet it down will depend on many factors, but the answer is the same - keep it wet and dark. Don't drown it.
✖

You should be using plastic under the concrete.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 5, 11:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There's already too much plastic being buried...then again, I suppose if we bury it all and wait around for long enough, we'll be replenishing the oil 'aquifer'.
✖

You could have been "less-stupid" by not assuming that any concrete had already been placed or that the substrate was dry enough to draw moisture from it.
✖
I did my driveway by hand in sections 10x8...after pouring cement and finishing I then layed blankets on the cement, covered with plastic and kept wet for 2 weeks. That was 30 years ago and no problems. I had 18 inches of bottom ash from a local power plant as a base also..along with reinforcement wire should last my lifetime.

✖

With 18" of compacted base you don't need any reinforcement unless you're parking a tank on it. That's a great use for the ash. Did you have to pick it up? Was it free for the taking?
✖

You could have been "less-stuped" by not assuming that any concrete had already been poured or that the underlying substrate was so dry that it would draw moisture off.
✖

ROTFLMAO. Hit the send again, PLEASE!. Looks like stupidity may be contagious here. I needs to be careful.
Steve
✖

Larry was responding to Sum Guy. Why are you taking exception and amusement in his response to someone else's...? Oh, wait. You're a nym shifter. Got it. Nevermind.
✖
RicodJour wrote:

Yes, and he responded twice. Or didn't you comprehend that?
Add pictures here
✖
Larry W wrote:

You are stating what the conditions are or will be.
You did not ask if it would be a better idea to wait unti the ambient temperature drops.
Don't play logical games with words - you don't seem up to the challenge.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:04:39 -0700, ls02 wrote:

Aside from listening to your concrete contractor's advice just keep it slightly damp for the first 24.
Add pictures here
✖