Crushed Carpet Probs

Any recommendations on crushed carpet?
My old saxony carpet was the lowest grade, yet it didn't crush too badly. I just got, what is supposed to be a "cut above the lowest grade" saxony installed. It is really dense. When you stand on it, "you are really standing on top of it", ie - you don't sink. The surface is like a pool table, and you notice any indentations.
I'm not really to worried about furniture that sits in one place, but the wheels on my office chair crush the carpet and leave grooves (a real mess). The vacuum beater doesn't do anything as this carpet is as dense as hardwood. I'm thinking of replacing it with the cheap stuff, if I have to continually maintain it. Any thoughts?

Buy one of those plastic chair pads to put under your desk.
A friend in the carpet business for about 40 years claims there is no carpet over pad that will stand up to the abuse created by a rolling chair. And that even commercial glue downs will wear out there before they wear out in the traffic areas.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Yep. Search for "chair mat"
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22chair+mat%22
Get one of those plastic floor mats from an office supply store. They work great. I've had both the ones with the spikes and the smooth ones. I found they both worked the same for me on dense carpet.
On 4 Mar 2005 15:11:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Wpg Man) wrote:

I've seen hard plastic pieces that office chairs sit on...don't know if there is a name for them. Would look into this instead of replacing carpet.

Thanks for the answers. I wanted to avoid one of those platic mats because... uggggllyy. It's just that my old cheapo carpet had such a flippity-floppity knapp, that the beater bar would bring it right back. Everybody seems to agree though - go with the plastic mat. I'll give it a shot.