Crooked Four-Poster Bed

I just purchased an iron four-poster bed. After I got everything assembled, I found that the four posts were not plumb, leaning in various directions. The four posts are screwed to the bed frame. Is there a technique to getting all four posts plumb?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

mike hide

Did you screw it together evenly? You could try loosening the screws, straightening it out and retighten.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for replying, Mike and Art. I might have to resort to shims. And yes, I did loosen everything in an attempt to adjust the poles, but somehow it's still extremely difficult to get them all plumb, especially after you connect the rails that go along the top. I figure there must be some technique to this, as thousands of folks out there have faced this same assembly puzzle. :/

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

It was probably made in China for 5$

Reply to
m Ransley

I would double check the assembly instructions to see if there isn't some slot and groove stuff that you might have missed.

Reply to
Art

Also loook at the pictures carefully. Sometimes parts that you think should be identical and maybe even look identical are not, and actually go in specific places. Voice of experience.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks to everyone who offered some input. Turns out that a combination of suggestions did the trick. Yes, it was made in China, though it sure cost me more than $5. Turns out the plates on the bed frame that the posts attach to were not even close to plumb. I loosened everything and inserted wooden shims in a few spots, then carefully retightened everything, frequently checking plumb with a level as I went. It's not spot-on, but close enough for rock 'n' roll. Thanks for your suggestions.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17