Croaking sound of toilet

Hi, I have a strange problem with my toilet yesterday. When i flush, it would make a loud croaking sound like someone was using a jackhammer, but deeper tone. The float(ball) would go down as normal and then come up with water refilling the tank. Any ideas on what causes the loud croaking sound? Thanks alot.
Confused homeowner.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Air being sucked through the toilet trap due to a clogged vent, or a failing float valve causing a repetitive water hammer condition.
Take the lid off the toilet, have your hand ready to lift the float and when the sound occurs pull the float up to stop the water. If stopping the water stops the sound and letting it continue to fill brings the sound back replace the float valve unit (they're cheap). If the float and water flow are not related to the sound inspect the vent stack for blockage.
Pete C.
Pete, I turned up the water valve below the toilet and the hammering went away. Not sure if that is a real fix though.
Pete C. wrote:

Burritos and refried beans for lunch?