Craftsman Lawn Tractor won't drive

I have a 6 year old Craftsman Lawn tractor Model number 917.273750 I mowed the lawn without problem a day ago but when I came to move it again it will not drive forward or reverse The drive belt feels very loose (should it be?) and I have a nasty habit of changing the gear without using the clutch ( zips on flameproof suit) Ideas please
Oh when I use the clutch at startup having selected a gear it 'grabs' , the front of the tractor rears up like it was sharply engaged

So.....you abuse and break your machine and now you want us to tell you .....what?
Here's a suggestion: Get it fixed-- or buy a new one-- and then use it as it's designed and engineered.
Stevelee45 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Craftsman-Lawn-Tractor-won-t-drive-396709-.htm :
John H. Holliday wrote:

-------------------------------------
Sorry, I didn't realize it was such a big issue. I was just looking for some friendly , non judgmental advice, guess I was looking in the wrong place
Hey, you were right. He is posting through the Sucko company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Smitty Two wrote:

A little obsesive about this?
John H. Holliday wrote:

the clutch even though it seems to work without grinding when shifting on the fly. It says in the book NOT to do that. Evidently your experience is the reason.
On Sep 26, 9:44am, stevelee1954_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Stevelee45) wrote:

A somewhat common problem on my Sears mower also. The drive belt jumps off a pulley and wedges between the frame & pulley. Push the clutch down & set the parking brake. Push/pull the drive belt to see where it's hung. Pop the belt back on the pulley.
Red
Red wrote:

You just went and ruined the whole mood of this thread. How dare you give a reasonable and useful answer?

Sorry about that. His original post gave me no indication that it came thru thestuccocompany or I wouldn't have replied. Still, my answer may help others if they bother to Google the topic.
Red