Craftsman drill keyless chuck removal

Hi All, I have a Craftsman Industrial 3/8" electric drill (variable speed, reversible) with keyless chuck (model 315.271490 if you must know). I am unable to remove the chuck according the instructions, which have me locking in an allen wrench and hitting it clockwise with a mallet, then removing the chuck screw by turning it clockwise, and so on.
1. I must be missing something obvious because hitting the allen wrench does nothing except rotate the chuck. The chuck is basically free to turn so how exactly am I supposed to be loosening anything with this task?
2. On turning the chuck screw clockwise with a screwdriver to remove it, looking down the middle of the chuck I cannot discern any actual screw down there.
Any advice on the above much appreciated. I am not a power tool newbie but I feel like one in this particular case.
Thanks, Howard

The shock of hitting it "should" loosen the chuck from the shaft. I've done it on another brand of drill and it works. Given that it has not worked yet for you, try a larger wrench to get more leverage when you whack it. Perhaps you'd get better results if you heated the chuck first with a hair dryer. Make sure it is clockwise. I forget what direction it said. Give it a good smack! Ed

I don't care what you think the instructions say. The screw has to be removed FIRST and it is usually turned clockwise to loosen. Some are phillips and some are slotted and some are hex. You use the mallet to rotate the chuck CCW after the screw is removed. I happen to use a long pipe wrench on the outside of the chuck as it's quicker and I don't care about a few more scratches on the chuck, especially if it's worn out anyway.
The screw maybe a torx or hex head screw.