Crabgrass Killer?

I live in upstate NY and am getting a lot of what I think is crabgrass in the lawn. When is the best time to apply the crabgrass killer? Spring or Fall?
Thanks
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
Brandystew wrote:

Use killer right now to kill the plants before they drop their seeds. Next Spring apply pre-emergent control to prevent any seeds from sprouting. You'll have to do this for about 3 years.
Check nitrogen in the pre-emergence stuff and avoid the burning I caused a couple of years ago.
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 13:17:39 GMT, "William W. Plummer"

On 07 Aug 2004 13:07:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM (Brandystew) wrote:

I have not found "crabgrass killer" to work. I either pull it out by hand or use RoundUp. Lots of crabgrass indicate you need to overseed and fill in the bare spots.
Phisherman wrote:

Crabgrass killer is slow and I usually use it 3 times, two weeks apart. But RoundUp will kill everything, good grass included. Pulling it up by hand is fine if you have lots of time and your back can take it.
I found that Scotts with Halts applied in the early spring works very effectively. Since Crabgrass is annual it works best if you get it down before the seeds sprout. Halts also will kill it after it has emerged but not as effectively.

Trimec works great for crabgrass!