Countertop fix?

I have black "slate-look" countertops in my kitchen that are OOOOLD. I used to hate them but it seems that black countertops are back in style. The problem is that they have so much wax or build-up on them that if you leave a glass sitting on them, you end up with a white spot and they're dull as heck.
Is there any way I can clean these to get all the crap off and then recoat them with something protective? I really don't want to use a poly. Some guy at work recommended something called "Sil-ac" or "seal-ac" or something. He said it's virtually indestructible and will last forever but I don't know about food safety.
Any ideas? They do sell a product at a craft store that you supposedly just pour on, but it's 9 bucks for a tiny bottle and I'm not sure how you'd do the vertical surfaces with it anyway...
Lorraine

if your top is like the ones we use to have in chemistry class years ago. I would recommend sanding it with an orbital sander. (100grit, 220grit, 320grit) and using tung oil (min. 2 coats) for the finish.
I have installed many "Fireslate" tops and this is the preferred finish.
If it is stone, these tips will NOT work. unless it is "soapstone"
I suspect this is one of the textured laminates? If so, do not sand under any circumstance.
Find an inconspicuous place for experimentation. I think I would wash an area with lacquer thinner to clean it. Use good grade automotive paste wax for finish. I think you will be pleased.
--

Keep the whole world singing. . .

Where might I find Trewax? Does it say anything about it being safe for food prep surfaces? (I wasn't sure if you meant it was made specifically for vinyl flooring or that it was an all purpose product you just happened to use on your floors).
Lorraine

Yes, it's a laminate. Any idea if auto wax would be safe for food prep surfaces?
Lorraine