counter tops ... back in the day ....

All of the houses around here were build in 1900 to 1910. Lots of them still have the old, built-in-place cabinets complete with the metal sink bases with porcelein tops where the sides (area to air-dry dishes) are one-piece with the sink bowls. These are probably from the late 40s or 50s.

Back then, they built the counter-tops out of plywood. They layed down a thin, rigid counter top on it, pretty much like a piece of laminate if you were laminating something yourself. They held it in place with a piece of metal (probably aluminum) trim. It went maybe

1/4 inch over the laminate and 1" down the side. It was nailed in place.

I can't use a standard counter top because I would then have to raise the sink and I would have issues with draws on the returns. So I want to just pull out the old laminate and replace it.

Does anyone who's work on this type of kitchen have any idea where I can get any of the metal moulding that they used back then?

Thanks in advance.

Pat.

Reply to
Pat