Couch Problem

Page 2 of 2

I'll add my voice to those saying plywood and firm cushions. Most sofas are far softer than most people have any need for -- it's sort of a contest for who can provide the most travel in the springs and cushions regardless of whether it's useful. My favorite sofas are made to begin with using solid foam cushions over wood slats or solid wood. My butt provides ample additional padding if needed.
Edward
--
Art Works by Melynda Reid: http://paleo.org

Lift the sofa cushions. Some thin plywood (3/8) under the cushion will give support if affixed properly.
An upholstery will cost you some dollars, even if you change the couch springs.
Springs stretch. I sat once on a unit, the person, when I mentioned broken springs, said .... but it "looks good"!
In forth:

The springs probably need to be retied, which cannot be done properly without recovering the sofa. That is if it is coil springs and not no-sags(zig zag), I doubt seriously that the springs need to be replaced. I've never seen a coil spring wear out, unless it was improperly installed and actually broke. As others have suggested your first bet is to try a piece of plywood over the deck under the cushions and raise the base. Secondly, I would try a firmer core in the cushions. If it's a quality piece, it would be worth it to fix it.
Thanks for the excellent comments and suggestions everyone. We are going to try our luck at getting them to replace the couch. It will be an uphill battle, so if that doesn't pan out, we'll try the plywood.
On 6/20/2010 9:49 PM, ChairMan wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote

MCP, I'm serious. Ask them *why* they do not want to replace it first.
I'd be really royally pissed if some well meaning relative came in and insisted on putting plywood on mine so it no longer dipped just right for my back needs. In fact I'd stop them unless they snuck in and did it 'as a suprise favor' in which case I'd be changing all locks then praying we could fix it back.
If the only reason they havent adapted it is financial solvency, they may appreciate your help. If it's some other reason, you tred dangerous ground if you do not ask them 'why'.

They make spacers that allow you to raise furniture and beds. I put some under our family room couch last time I had a back flare up. It helped.

I have never owned a couch, I use chairs (not sure why folks buy couches--makes no sense at all in MY home). If the springs are worn its my guess the fabric is very worn too. Inspect the couch carefully for damage in the frame and springs. You can cut a 1/8" ply or particle board to fit under the cushions for support. Also, consider raising the entire couch 2" by adding block feet under the existing legs. You may consider adding a fifth leg to support the center of the seating area, especially if the couch is long or deep. A slightly higher seat may make it easier for elderly or handicapped.

So we can snuggle while we're watching TV. (Or while he's watching TV and I'm reading.)
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Awww....
--