Cost of appliance install?

I checked Google and didn't see anything on this. I'm getting ready to order new appliances. Do these sound like reasonable charges for replacing/hooking up kitchen appliances? We've done our measurements, and they will take the old appliances away.
Dishwasher: $175 Hood (vented to outside, as with existing): $175 Range: $295
Thanks for any feedback.
-Amalia _________________ Remove X's to reply

get a $35 rebate to reduce that further. And no sales tax on installed items. I don't remember the last time I sold a simple hood but to R and R a microhood would be same as dishwasher but no rebate. Your range must be a drop-in or slide-in requiring "installation" because we charge $40 to deliver and hook up a 30" free standing range and there is always a rebate going for that $40. But even so, it sounds kind of high to install a built in range. But as I said, it the going labor rate in your locale is higher, than the charges you've been quoted wouldn't be out of line.

Thanks very much, Tom. I'm in San Francisco, CA. And we're getting a slide-in rather than freestanding range.
Amalia

Replacing a slide-in range should take less than an hour - that's a HIGH hourly rate.

The price included haul off and disposal

AHHH Frisco. I worked there 2 summers ago for UCSF, electricians were getting $50 an hour straight time. One Sunday they were getting double time and they bitched all day long. If your prices include transportation to your home and installation, might be ok. If not still high
The range is an easy install. Either a cord for the electric, or a 1/2 gas line. Pop it in and then level.
Best Buy charged me the following for replacing my dishwasher last week:
Haul Away: $15 Install: $99 Delivery: $35
Total: $149, with a $35 rebate on the delivery charge. I'm in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Bob.
amalia wrote:

What is reasonable to one is usury to another. To me, they are closer to the latter...I'd put them in myself and sell the old ones.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
There are people who aren't handy and just pay that kind of price.. I kinda feel sorry for them..
Then there are people who just want the job done and the old stuff hauled away and don't care about the price.. I say, do it that way and stimulate the economy..
Then there are those who really can't afford to pay that much and should learn how to do the install themselves. A dishwasher replacement would be the simplest but might require several trips to the HD for the right hook up parts..
The range hood might seem simplest but often requires electrcial wiring (not plug), also may involve a little work adapting the duct.
The range, since it isn't free standing is the most involved and will require the installation of the electric cable or gas line.. Here is where you might want to call in the Pro. A really handy and trusted friend might be able to do it but I don't recommend this for the beginner, because of the dangers..
The hauling is always the problem for those with only a sedan but this is the time you call in favors with your neighbor, friend or relative with a mini van or PU. Maybe you pay someone $50 to do the hauling for you..
If you are considering trying it yourself, I would recommend you first investigate the appliance removal and at this point you will see what electrical or plumbing will be involved.. If you screw up the old, no great loss since the delivery/installer will be hauling it away anyway. Just careful not to damage any water or drain lines that the new appliance will hook up to.
As far as delivery cost go, I would look for a rebate or waver of these.. Dealers are competative and may have some 'wiggle room'. I've never paid a delivery, however, it may have been concealed in the price. I almost always have my own truck and a hand dolly can be rented for a few bucks.
An ad (for free) or phone call will get rid of the old appliance. Most charity/thrief stores will pickup..
--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve

[]

Thanks very much, Steve, and all who replied. This is useful. Early investigation tells us we need a pro for the hood because of the way it's set up now, and the range is out of the questions because of the dangers, but you've given me a good idea to ask for a break on price.
The job is somewhat complicated by the two flights of stairs it takes to get to our kitchen, but I appreciate knowing where the wiggle room is.
Amalia
I certainly wouldn't pay $645 to install 2 appliances and a range hood.
That's more than any one of my appliances cost, and I got all stainless steel appliances for my kitchen.

but I don't live in your area, maybe things are just more expensive in your area. I live in the Minneapolis/St.Paul metro area of Minnesota.
Your dishwasher quote isn't too bad. I think typical around here is 125-150 including haul away. So you are pretty close there. Your range hood seems high, if they just have to swap one unit for another. If there is existing venting they can tap into, it should be a really quick swap. If they have to install the vent, then that quote isn't too bad. Your range install is really high, in my opinion. Is this a gas or electric unit? Last time I bought an electric stove, they included installation and haul away in their pricing. If you need a gas line or electric circuit installed, it may be an okay price.
In total, you are looking at almost $700 in installation fees, which seems a high, unless several hours of electrical or plumbing work is needed. Dave

Good to know. It's swapping one gas range for another, all hook-ups are in place (as with the dishwasher, although the hood probably isn't an easy swap).

Our row house and the issue of dealing with gass lines doesn't encourage a DIY approach, but this discussion has given me some ammunition to negotiate on delivery price. After all, we are buying three appliances which will be delivered together. Stands to reason we shouldn't pay the stand-alone price for each of these.
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
Amalia