contractor sends a bill 7 months later

Page 2 of 2

All I can say is that both of you went way off the deep end on this one.
My comment had nothing to do with hating America, Obama, "pansy ass ofeeeeeeeeended from my heritage side", or anything related to anyone's nationality, upbringing, politics or religious beliefs.
Honesty is honesty and doesn't need a locale related qualifier.
That was the gist of my comment and nothing more.

I've been known to do that. Guilty.

DerbyDad03, now that you have been properly chastised, we can both do the "American" thing and call a truce and go on to bigger and better things.
OK with you, my friend ??
James

That's an interesting way to word it.
Call me wrong once again and then request a truce.
OK, let's do it your way:
Even though I was *improperly* chastised, I'll grant your request for a truce.
Moving on...

A legitimate charge for product or services received that was not paid for previously.

It's time to report to the IRS. They came up short. They discovered that they forgot to bill you for something.
Obviously, the charge is legitimate or your post would have been worded much differently. I would have expected something like:
"I paid the roofers back in June and now I'm getting this bill with a bogus charge for $700 worth of masking tape and animal crackers!"
Instead, you make no mention of what the charge is for.
Admit it; it's something the roofers provided, but wasn't on the original bill. You caught the mistake, but kept your mouth closed figuring you'd get something for nothing.
The stand-up honest American thing to do here is PAY THE BILL.
However, I would call them and express my concern and displeasure over the heavy-handed use of the PAST DUE stamp on the bill... how this is the first time I've heard from them in 7 months, and how an oversight on their part should not result in a black mark on my credit rating.
reply: How do you know all this stuff without any information? Do you have ESP? Are you a psychic, or just psychotic?
Steve
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:58:17 -0800, "Steve B"

Doesn't sound like it from the information given.
If a contractor signs a contract to do a job for a total cost of $3000, with 50% to be paid now and 50% to be paid on completion, then once you have paid $3000 total, you are DONE paying. He contracted to do the job for a flat rate of $3000 and that is what you paid. You picked him over other bidders, at least partially based on that price that he committed to in writing.
If the contractor made a mistake in calculating his bid, that really isn't your concern. What if his bid was $3000, and someone else lost the job because they bid $3500, and now the contractor wants an additional $2000 7 months after being paid in full for the contracted price? You could have gone with the guy who wanted to do the same job for $3500.
That's why there are contracts, and bidding.

I always write paid in full on the check when I pay for a job like this. That overrides the agreement on the contracted price. Once I had a dispute about cost sent the guy a check and he marked out the paid in full and cashed the check. He then took me to small claims court for what he saw as the rest of his money. He made his claim. I showed the judge the canceled check where he altered it and the judge found in my favor.
Jimmie

No, it doesn't.

More likely because he altered the check... duh.

Do you have a telephone? Call them and ask THEM. You'll get the real answer faster.
Steve

Even if it was for a real charge that he forgot....you had a contract for a certain price. You can't be charged more if you didn't agree to it. If it were me, bas3ed on everything you stated (assuming it's true)...I wouldn't pay.
**** http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandIDx9610 http://www.reviewmymusicnow.com