connecting a 75ft hose to my sump pump - will it wear it out?

My sump pump has been emptying into a drain right outside the back of my house that tends to overflow from the force of the water coming out of the pipe. I purchased 3 25 ft extension tubes (similar to the tubes people use for their pool filter) and connected them together so the water would drain into a remote area of my backyard. It works well and keeps my patio dry the only thing that concerns me is that the pump runs for about 2-3 minutes longer every time it fills up to expel the water than it did when the water was just emptying right outside the window. Will the extra work the pump is exerting to pump the water across the yard make it wear out prematurely? The last thing I want to happen is for this thing to burn out when I'm out of the house. The ground is pitched slightly downward once the water reaches the outdoors so I thought that gravity would mitigate the strain but maybe it's the diameter of the tubes (2") that have more to do with it.

Reply to
Joe

Pumps wear from use. The more use, the more wear. How many times a day does it run? Are the tubes at least the same or larger diameter as the pump outlet? If so, there is minimal pressure, minimal wear. The pump should be good for years of use. Good pump can run for thousands of hours.

I'd be less concerned about the wear than having the water drain close to the house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

With "2 tubing" I suspect your feeling the pump is running longer is only subjective. That should be far larger than any sump pump outlet. If the pump really is running longer, I would be looking for a restriction somewhere, kink, foreign object. I have an el cheapo sump pump that pumps 7 ft up and over 100 ft draining in much the same way, Pipe is 1" buried PVC - no problems. Been that since 1977 and I am only on my 2nd pump (both around $80 when purchased).

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K