Concrete staining

After watching too much HGTV, I am interested in the concrete staining they do. The concrete I want to stain is outside walkways, which has nearly a broom finish. I guess you could say it is one step smoother than a broom finish. Nowhere near the slick finish on interior concrete floors.
Give me some info, hints, tips, and sites re: concrete staining.
Done it? Like it? PITA? Easy? Cost?
STeve

they
dags. it's been talked about a lot, and there's plenty of sites around about it.
Same here! Yesterday I OD'ed on HGTV. They showed a bathroom floor that the owner did herself on "this small space" and an exterior spot on curb appeal. On the small spaces segment, they didn't show any of the work, just finished product but the owner of the condo said it was easy and fun. On the curb appeal, they showed a pro applying what appeared to be a thin layer of new concrete and then spraying the stain on with a spray bottle to give it a mottled tile like appearance.

they

Steve,
I stained the concrete floors on my 2 rental units, and it came out really well. The concrete wasn't even near in perfect condition. There was tile on it before, marks all over, etc. 2 coats of stain later, it looked like old marble. It left me wishing I had concrete floors in my house to stain.
I used Kemiko (http://www.kemiko.com ) and would highly recommend it. You spray on with a garden sprayer, let sit, and wash off. It had a chemical reaction with the concrete to change the color; it doesn't simply "paint" it.
As a final note, I used the Cola color, with 2 coats of Kemiko's sealer for a nice shine. I would do some thinking about using the sealer if it was an outside application, and it seems like it might get a little slick.
Total cost: About $150 for both units.
Good luck.
Ryan
Did you put a thin layer of something over the concrete to make it smooth and level? Mine is kind of smooth in places, rough in others and has a few chips here and there.
Snip
Steve,

on
for

I left the concrete as-is. Being that I was leaving the concrete floors in the house, and not tiling, I liked the rough look of it. If it was too jagged to walk on comfortably, I suppose I would have ground that part smooth, but otherwise the sealer did a nice job of giving it a finished look.
There are several places to get information.
One good one:
http://www.thestampstore.com /

they