Computer Table Top

Hi! I have a decent homebuilt table, 3'x5', only a little bit bowed in the center. It's mostly pine 2x4s, 4x4 redwood legs, and a 3/4" plwood top. I've tried hardwood top panels for a surface, but they aren't good, when I drag my monitor or tower, they gouge.
What do you suggest for a top surface? I'm thinking excelon floor tiles, but I hope something better in the <$30 price bracket shows up.

1. Go to your local floor store (not a chain store) and tell him what you want to do. The usually have scraps of kitchen counter top material they will give you for a small job like that. Then buy the glue from him rather than the big box stores. This sort of thing is the advantage of dealing with home town folks.
2. Although it won't look as dressy as counter top material, for a work bench, I have used masonite with the hard smooth side up. Has held up real well, but does tend to stain permanently when oil spills on it. Should work well for what you want.
I think I'd be a bit concerned about the bow in the center of your top, and brace that and straighten it before using it.
Bob
Dale Benjamin wrote:

Get a length of countertop material from HD. You get to choose the color/finish and they're pretty indestructible at low cost. Jim

How about putting something under your equipment so it doesn't gouge the top?
Dale Benjamin wrote:

Plexiglass, cut to fit?

Don't fix the table. Glue soft plastic coasters to the offending equipment.
--Goedjn

You can buy slab door with solid core in this price range. They come with hardwood veneer, and I used a table like that for quite a while (milk crate legs etc.). You can also get a steel door slab for al little more cash.
EJ