Compressor / inflator recommendations

I am considering buying an inflatable poolside water slide something like this:

I'll need some way to inflate it. I suppose the vacuum cleaner could be used, but I have been meaning to buy a portable compressor for inflating tires (bike, car, dolly), balls, etc. I might use it to run a nail gun, but that would be limited duty and may not happen. I will not be using it for continuous use of spray gun or air sanders or the like. It might come in handy to blow out dust and dirt.

It looks like there are two basic choices: inflaters and compressors.

  1. Inflaters. These are intended for inflating tires and balls. These tend to be smaller and cheaper, but most of them are 12V only, which would be somewhat inconvenient for backyard use. I checked into inverters to allow then to use 110VAC, but ones that can deliver enough amps, are way more than the compressor. One exception is the B&D.

  1. Compressors. There are a lot of these from very small to humongous. These would clearly do the job, but I'm not sure what fatures I need.

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have actually used any of these for what I need: mostly inflating things and the very occasional, limited duty compressor use (nail gun, blower).

What's the smallest tank size I need? I don't mind if I have to wait a bit.

What's the minimum PSI I can get away with. Touring bike tires require (I think) 90 psi. My car only needs about 35. I don't know what a basketball needs. The pool slide would be a lot lower.

Do I want oil luned or oilless? I believe the oil-free are noisier, but less messy.

What's the minimum air volume (CFPM?) I can get away with? I don't mind if it takes 10 minutes to inflate the pool slide. I don't want if to take an hour.

What's an acceptable noise level for backyard residential use? Some advertise 70-90 dBA.

Am I correct that trying to adapt a 12V unit to run on house current is a bad idea? It looks like I should go with one that runs on 110VAC. The B&D is both.

What's the minimum amperage I can get away with. Is 15 amps too much for most household outlets?

Should I avoid a coiled hose?

Thanks.

Here are some units I am considering. They are more or less in order of which ones look the best to me:

Porter-Cable C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor, $146

110VAC, oil-free, 6 gal, 20x18x21, 35 lbs, straight hose, 150 psi, one reviewer said it was quiet. This looks to be the best of the low-cost, real compressors.

Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator, $48.

110VAC or 12V, 6 lbs, settable pressure up to 200 psi with auto shut-off, lots of good reviews, but several said it is slow and the tire inflator attachment breaks, one person said it was loud. This looks to be the best of the inflators mainly because it also runs on 110. I don't know if this could power a nail gin.

Dewalt D55140 Heavy Duty 1 Gal, 135 PSI Max, Trim Compressor, $160.

1.0 gal tank, 18x15x11, up to 135 psi, oil-free, 71 bDA, 2.6 amp, compact, 24 lbs, no hose, can run1 nailer.

Bostitch CAP1516 Trim Air 8 Amp 1-1/2-Horsepower 1.6-Gallon Oil-Free Camper-Shaped Compressor, $150

8 amp, 1.5 HP, 1.6 gal, oil-free, can run 1 nail gun at moderate pace, 20 lbs.

Then there are a lot of good 12V inflators, but I think they won't work for me:

Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor, $40

COMP06 Pro Power Heavy-Duty Tire Inflator, $60.
Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor,$80.
Cable 4 Gallon 150 PSI Air Compressor, $275.

Viair 00093 90P Portable Air Compressor Kit, $84.

Flow MF-1040 Cyclone High Volume Portable Air Compressor, $45.
30033 300P Portable Air Compressor Kit, $170.
PS: If anyone has any experience with inflatable, pool side water slides, I'd be interested in that as well.

Reply to
Square Peg

I have a Sears cordless inflator which I use for tires and such. I love it. My first one lasted about 10 years and when the battery died I just went and got another one of the same model. It would probably do the job but might take a while.

I also have a new Porter Cable C2002 that I got refurbished through Amazon for $100. Looks brand new and works great. I use it for a brad nailer.

They are both really loud. That will be true unless you go with a more expensive oil compressor.

Reply to
thomasstruth

Is this it?

That looks like a good choice for tires and balls, but it says it can only do 2 tires on a charge. I am afraid that it won't be able to inflate the much larger water slide. Do you agree?

I used to buy a lot of Craftsman tools, but haven't for awhile.

How do you find refurbished ones?

A new one is only $146:

Do you mean that the Craftsman cordless is loud?

Several of the reviews on Amazon say that the Porter Cable is not as loud as some. Of course, that may still be pretty loud.

Reply to
Square Peg

This is the inflator:

I've never run out the battery, but I'm usually raising somewhat- inflated tires up to pressure instead of starting from 0.

You can get refurbished from Amazon (where I got it) or from cpoportercable.com. They may have run out. I paid $100 for my refurb.

They are both loud. This is, of course, subjective, but I don't think anyone would not think of them as loud. The PC is louder than the tire inflator, but I've gotten to the point where I won't run either without hearing protection. My younger ears didn't mind the sound level when they were young.

Reply to
thomasstruth

Use your shop vac to inflate that thing. You want volume, not pressure. Check the manufacturer, but I'd bet it inflates to a couple psi.

You still wan. . . er *need* a compressor-- but not for that thing.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, that's the say to go. Thanks.

If I were to get everything I "wan. . . er *need*", I'd first need a much bigger garage. ;-)

Reply to
Square Peg