commode leak

I have a commode that the flapper valve continues to leak. I've relaced the flapper, I cleaned the receiver part of the valve, even tried sandpapering the rim to make sure it is clean. But about every third time you flush it the valve does not seat properly. I've talked to local pumbling store and they say I have to remove the tank and replace the bottom of the valve?!? Any suggestion before I remove the tank? Thanks in advance Evon
if your talking about the flapper not sealing, i would try the korky brand flapper.its more forgiving than the harder rubbers..if it wont seal, to replace the seat the flapper seals on youll need to remove the bowl . just 3 nuts i think to get it off. lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

And if you do that, when you put the tank back on use new seals on the bolts and DON'T tighten 'em too much or risk hearing.....Craaaack!
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
2 things, 1st make sure your chain is not too long or too short. If 2 long maybe chain is kinked up and part of it falls down on the drain before the flapper has time to seat. If 2 short maybe the chain won't let the flapper seat properly. 2sd thing if your flapper has one of those floats on top of it get another one with out it. Flowtrone makes a soft universal type flapper.