Code for below grade gas pipe

I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried gas pipe:
1. Minimum depth?
2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.) What does the code say.
Many thanks.
24 inches I believe and galvanized is a no no. Plastic pipe equals no rust.. oh yea, make sure they run a tracer with it so it can be located at a later date.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Codes vary from location to location, but here in winter free south, it must be 24" below grade. It must NOT be galvanized. It is usually plastic, copper or black iron (in a sleeve).
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Best person to ask is your local inspector. He has the final word.
Bob
metal guarantees it will need replaced sooner or later.

Not always.
Properly installed, there is a pipe out there that comes pre-tarred for underground applications. You also need the 'tar-tape' for the fittings.
HeatMan wrote:

metal always rusts given enough years.
plastic line appears to last forever...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Based on the replies it seems galvanized is a big no-no everywhere. He got a permit? Must need one for that kind of work. Is it posted? Does it need to be where you are? No permit then no post work inspection. You get galv pipe which may be illegal there. As mentioned, a call to your local inspection office is the final say.

Here is whats required in Arizona..
Gas yard line must be scotch (green)coated for burial in the ground or approved plastic with a minimum 18 AWG copper tracer wire.
We bought our ScotchCoated pipe at Naughtons.

It would be best to check in your own municipality or with your permitting authority. Code can and does vary between jurisdictions. Did your contractor pull a permit? If so, does it describe what materials he is using?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
A couple of years ago, here in the Atlanta area I added a pool heater. The local gas company advised I would need a bigger gas meter. The supply line from the meter to the heater could be PVC underground but where exposed, should be black pipe. PVC for gas usage is yellow, as I remember, but no restriction on burial depth, unlike for coffins, water lines, etc.

Craven Morehead wrote:

I decided not to bother with a permit when I buried my bodies, but 6 ft is still a good idea; dogs, etc.

Drywall buckets. Less work.