Here in NYC we are expected to have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed by
November 1st. They are supposed to be 15' from all bedrooms. I'd also like
to install one in the cellar near the furnace. One with a digital read out.
I'd like one that plugs in, but uses a line cord. The outlets in the cellar
are on electrical boxes being fed by conduit. But I can easily mount one
somewhere on the brick wall and plug in. But the only one I've found with a
line cord was a simple one without a read out.
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
red LED readout and an audible signal. Got it at HD.
Here is the Nighthawk web site. The model shown is a newer design than
mine. Mine doesn't have battery backup.
From the HD site -specifications
Features include a 3-way mounting option: plug directly into AC
receptacle, mount on a tabletop using supplied 8-ft. power cord, or
wall-mount. Digital readout continuously displays carbon monoxide levels
from 30-999 parts per million. The display reads "Gas" when explosive
gas reaches dangerous level. The loud 85 dB alarm sounds when CO and/or
explosive gas reaches dangerous levels. This unit has a permanent sensor
that never needs replacement. Another feature is the peak-level memory
which means the unit will recall the highest level of CO present since
previous reset. 5-year limited warranty.
Okay. I wonder where the prongs go when wall mounted? I'm heading down to
Home Depot now to see what they have. Locally all CO detectors are sold
out. It wouldn't surprise me if HD is also. But I need some flower bulbs,
so my trip won't be wasted.
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Nighthawk, and for the basement they have a model that also has a
natural gas detector Co detector in one unit, with digital display. The
plug in, with cord, Co digital read out has been available for years and
has battery backup
Remember one thing about CO detectors, they read what is specified by CPSC.
That level of read out is unacceptable.
The best CO detectors ( and the ones I have in my house are here.
FWIW, Here is the info off of a line card.
Desirable level 0 PPM
Acceptable level of CO in any living space 9 PPM
Max Concentration for continuous exposure in any 8 hr. period 50 PPM
Frontal headaches 1 to 2 hrs, life threatening after 3 hours 400 PPM
Nausea and convulsions, death within 2 hours 800 PPM
Nausea within 20 minutes, death within 1 hour 1600 PPM
Death with in 1-3 minutes 12,800 PPM
I got this info from Bacharach, Inc., makers of test instruments. They do
have a website, http://www.bacharach-inc.com /
How so? CO detectors are designed to detect CO released from
malfunctioning combustion appliances. Pretty much any CO detector out
there will accomplish this job just fine.
If you're truly paranoid and want to have protection against even really
low levels of CO, then spend your money and buy one of the highly-
overpriced "low level" detectors. Chances are you'll quit using it when
it keeps alarming for no good reason.
The best defence against carbon monoxide poisoning is ensuring that your
furnace, gas fireplace, and any other combustion appliances are in good
working order and inspected professionally once per year. Carbon
monoxide detectors are simply a backup in case something goes wrong (in
which case, the alarm thresholds will be easily passed).
If the CO levels in my home get high enough to cause death, my CO
detectors will most definitely trigger (as will pretty much all CO
detectors out there).
The "low level" detectors mentioned will catch very low level exposure to
CO, which may cause health problems, but most certainly won't cause
So, what's your point? Smoke detectors _don't_ always go off when they
should. No 'detector' will ever work perfectly.
For the same money, you can buy five or six "regular" CO detectors for
the price of one "low level detection" detector. I'd think the former
would provide more protection against life-threatening levels of CO, with
a far lower chance of not alarming when needed.
I don't think that is so. We had one (I can't recall the brand but it
was one of the companies that makes smoke detectors) that went off. We
rushed outside and called the fire department; they came quickly and
impressively, with all kinds of equipment, and found there was no CO.
They suggested I get a Nighthawk as they felt it was the best consumer
level alarm made. We have had our Nighthawk for many years now and it
has performed flawlessly.
I know there is an argument that the one I had that went off erroneously
probably would have gone off had there been a dangerous level of CO, but
I think a detector that goes off erroneously is more likely to be
ignored when there is a true danger.
SPAMBLOCK NOTICE! To reply to me, delete the h from apkh.net, if it is
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.