CO Detected

We decided to buy a CO detector "just because" So, we mounted it about 8 inches below the ceiling on the 2nd floor hallway I checked it tonight and it shows a peak reading of 14. I am very surprised to say the least. I have gas heat,dryer and HW and a fireplace thats gas but isnt used very often although it has a pilot. Where do you suppose the CO is coming from? Is 14 ppm anything to worry about? Is that just the sensor fluctuating? What should i make of all this? Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric

read co detector instructions

contact co detecter manufacturer

contact local fire department

Reply to
effi

Definitely read the instructions. CO is heavier than air. The detector should be mounted near the floor, not near the ceiling. You may have higher concentrations of CO than you think.

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne, You Freakin Idiot. Stop blurting out stupid untrue shit. Try researching before you spout. Read man, Read!

Bubba

Wrong.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On which planet? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

lets see how many people feel the need to chime in here. we got 3 so far...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

Yes it is serious to find the cause. It should read 0. Reset unit to zero so zero at peak level is shown. See if it sets to a higher level with the heating system on for a basic indication. Or is excessive cooking causing it. 14 shows a likely malfunction of a gas apliance. It could be many things, blocked chimney, no chimney draw, cracked heat exchanger on a furnace and more. You dont say if you have forced air heat. My neighbor was having headaches for a month I brought over my Co meter it registered 15ppm., her repair pro found all sections of her furnace had splits releasing Co. She had it replaced immediatly. 14 ppm wont kill you but it could make you possibly feel sick. It could get much worse fast. 14 ppm indicates investigation is necessary. Call a heat pro today. Your fire dept or gas company may come for free imediatly to find the source. It realy is not worth waiting on this one. Move your meter to different locations and near heating equipment reseting peak level. Source readings will be much higher Co.

Reply to
m Ransley

It's not exactly "untrue."

First, don't take as gospel data from some person's internet home page. Not too many people have an electrical outlet ten inches from the wall anyway.

Second, in the real world, I submit it doesn't matter where the detector is mounted. Presumably, the detector exists because of concerns regarding a heating device. The presence of a heating device implies convection currents.

Warm CO is definitely lighter than cold CO. But that which was warm will cool, that which was cool will become warm, that which was broken will be made whole; the exact same molecule of CO will move up and down and eventually find the detector.

For best results, hang the detector around your neck.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Personal Experience:

About 30 people in the a vacation building with a furnace and a fireplace being used at the same time (the fireplace had the stronger draft). Some people went to sleep (on the floor with sleeping bags). Others were sitting up playing cards late at night. One of the card players got up and passed out. A couple of others did likewise. Someone went for the phone and a couple of others figured out what was going on and opened doors and windows. I was sleeping on the floor. Everyone sitting up was effected, no one on the floor had any serious effects a few ended up with head aches. I had no ill effects. Everyone was evaluated by the emergency crew. The fire department said that was the usual situation. Those higher up would be hit first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

OH now thats just "choice". Ransley the Webtv boy putting out advice on CO! Whats next Ransley? You going to teach someone how perform open heart surgery? Stick to what you know best. Blowing jimmy boy. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You know, I dont even know how to address this one. If you want to play god and change the laws of physics, be my guest. CO is lighter than air, PERIOD! You can slice it, dice it, warm it and cool it. It is still lighter than air. Other than that, Im not going to argue with you. Believe what you want. I'll stick with proven facts. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks, I think everyone was about to jump on that answer of his.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

"At freezing temperatures, carbon monoxide is heavier than air. " See

Also Carbon Monoxide is heavier than oxygen.

Reply to
Fred Dingo

So if we all sleep outside at night on the ground by a highway full or cars and trucks passing by, we have got something to worry about. Likewise, if we can all find an environment full of pure oxygen and nothing else we are in big big trouble. I guess when I ride out on that comet to another galaxy I had better take my carbon monoxide detector with me. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Several comments. NIOSH exposure level is 50 ppm (level at which worker can be exposure to continuously) so 14 is not a problem by itself. I would move the detector around the house to see what is the source. Check the heated air from the furnace to see if there is a leak in the plenum. Take the detector outside if not too cold and see what its zero level is. I assume a gas stove will put out a small amount of CO since it vents into the house.

Reply to
Jeff

However according to your reference. "Carbon monoxide has a natural tendency to rise in temperatures normally found inside buildings. At freezing temperatures, carbon monoxide is heavier than air. "

Therefor at temperatures that are within the the normal operating temperature of the sensors (If I recall correctly the operating temperature for my CO alarm is above freezing) CO is lighter than air.

According to my sources at 32°

Air = 1.0000 CO = 0.9736 O² = 1.113

Even at freezing it is lighter.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You know, Im almost shocked by some of the comments Im seeing posted in here about CO. Im just going to assume that there is much unknown advice to the average homeowner about CO? You would have to be absolutely NUTS to knowingly expose yourself to

50ppm of CO continuously! Even 14PPM! Below is a level that may be safe (009 PPM) but I still wouldnt knowingly expose myself to that or any other level

ASHRAE 62-89 (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers)

009 PPM The maximum allowable concentration for continuous (24 hr) exposure. ASHRAE states the ventilation air shall meet the out door air standard referenced to EPA and 9 PPM.

You also, for the most part, cannot use a household CO detector to detect a CO leak in a furnace plenum. The amount of air from the blower in the furnace dilutes the CO so much that it takes a long time and/or large concentration for your detector to register the CO. Your assumption of a gas stove putting out CO is incorrect also. If it is putting out CO it is burning poorly or it is causing incomplete combustion. If it is, GET IT FIXED! Dont rely wholy on your UL listed CO detector. Read the info. See what kind of levels your detector alarms at. You might find it "alarming". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba posted for all of us....

Nah, brain surgery-self taught on himself! Actually tried an implant but it didn't take...

Reply to
Tekkie