Clothes Dryer not starting

I have a Whirpool Dryer and it will not start. This happen suddenly with no prior issues. I have checked the breaker and the incoming electric and there are no problems there. Can anyone tell me where I should begin my troubleshooting? I am not familiar with how a dryer works but can repair if assisted with instructions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Reply to
landshrk4

breaker tripped? power at outlet? 240 volts? is it a electric dryer?

Reply to
hallerb

breaker tripped? power at outlet? 240 volts? is it a electric dryer?

Reply to
hallerb

bad door switch?

Reply to
hallerb

Could be controls, door switch, or a sensor of some sort. Try some troubleshooting at

or

Edwin Pawlowski

thermal overload burned??

Reply to
digitalmaster

familiar with how a dryer

You do not even say if this is gas or electric, although the interlocks are similar on both models.

Pull the front bottom panel off and you should find an electric schematic diagram pasted there. Most dryers have them. If you do not find a schematic for your specific unit, it may be difficult to troubleshoot, but there are only so many variations, so get one from you neighbor or friend and it'll give you an idea where the interlocks (switches) are in the ckt.

This will be your map for troubleshooting. Need at least VOM. If you do not know what VOM is, get a friend to who has one to help you. Suspect the problem is simple, such as door switch, as others have said.

RichK

Reply to
RichK

Hi,

Model#?

What where the readings/finding?

Some common trouble makers....s copy:

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A - Common problems...blown house fuse/tripped breaker ( electric dryers need 2 )...loose white/neutral wire...broken belt ( on some models only )...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open ( venting needs attention )...broken or burnt wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch ( especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

  • If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first

Great name ;)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid