Closing (and Baking) A Freshly Painted Entry Door

Let's say you have a pre-primed fiberglass entry door.

Let's say SWMBO has picked the perfect color for you to paint it with.

Question 1:

How soon after you paint it can you close it tight against the rubber weather stripping without fear of damaging the finish?

Question 2:

Would it hurt or help to bake the freshly painted door in my black, enclosed trailer, parked in the sun on hot summer day?

(Having used the trailer previously to bake some large objects made from fiberglass and epoxy, I know that it makes a pretty good oven.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:hr05h3$vhi$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

grease the gasket with a light coat of vaseline,the paint will not stick to it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It wouldn't hurt ot bake it, just be sure to let it cool fully before putting back up and closing it. Vaseline on gasket/contact surface sound like a good idea as long as the vaseline would not deteriorate the gasket.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Does anyone else think that the door may not be in the best shape warping wise after the bake. I know that they try to make them not warp but I doubt that they tested it being baked flat in an oven.

Also if the paint worked better after backing don't you think it woould say it on the can. I'm pretty sure its only tested under nornal conditions.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

If you are using latex paint, it could take a month. On the doors I've painted, the weather stripping is removable, so I just take it out and then reinstall it later.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

If you are using latex paint, it could take a month. On the doors I've painted, the weather stripping is removable, so I just take it out and then reinstall it later.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

A southern exposure and a full glass storm door will bake it as hot or hotter than being in a trailer. Not saying to bake it while closed, just saying that it can withstand a hell of a lot of heat and sitting in a trailer won't hurt it. Who knows how long they sometimes sit in a semi trailer baking away? Without a doubt, let it cool for some time before handling it.

Reply to
Tony

A month on latex? Yes different companies have different formulations, some stay tacky for days, but a month Ive only seen with drying some painted shelves in my humid basement with a deep base. Ben Moore will dry in a few hours, pittsburg takes days and its still tacky on deep bases. He doesnt say if its latex but it probably is.

Reply to
ransley

What kind of paint, what color, what quality of a job are you doing. Latex can fail early if painted on a hot surface or get to much heat to fast, dark colors can get real hot in the sun. Ive been using Benjamin moore Aura and it dries super fast and some latexes paints do seem to take forever to not be tacky. You could heat it a bit but baking latex might be risky. The only houses ive had fail were the ones painted when real hot out that got sun right away. Many latex cans say dont paint a hot surface or in excessive heat and thats around 85+ in my opinion. Go to a real paint store and ask since different products have different procedures that need to be followed, and all brands are different. Test a sample. Aura works, dries too dam fast, but its near 50 qallon

Reply to
ransley

Take the door to an auto paint shop and have them do whatever they do when they paint a car (and use their paint).

Reply to
HeyBub

My understanding is that to avoid having weather stripping stick to latex paint, you need to wait for the paint to fulling cure, which can take a month. Latex paint may dry in 4 hours, but it is still hardening for a month.

The problem is that with the weather stripping pressed against the paint, the uncured paint will tend to leech out the plasticizers in the weather stripping, which can cause the two to stick together. So yes, when you paint a door, I recommend removing the weather stripping for a month.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I saw a door where the owner had an auto paint shop. He used a smooth door and the finish looked, well like a new car! It was really too shiny for my tastes, but to each is own.

Reply to
Tony