closed window - home is hot

Page 4 of 4

"awning or hopper windows" specifically. AN awning window is a hopper window installed inside out and upside down.
And I know how to SNIP

I thought this suggestion was the best of all, from the original time it was posted. +1
To the OP is the window person also the one who installed the door?
--
Tekkie

http://www.generalawnings.com/images/products/vista_window_awning_custom_colors_1.jpg
| | I'd not want these mounted at bottom. |
I wouldn't want them anywhere. They give one a feeling of being cut off from the outside because the glass is pretty much always in the way of one's view. Also, like casement windows, they're a poor choice for ventilation. They tend to block the breeze. The only thing to recommend an awning window is that it can be left open in a blowing rain.
Sliders or double hung are far better for ventilation. I've used "hopper" windows numerous times in cellars. They can be good where nothing else works. I actually think of them as "cellar windows". And many designs allow the sash to be easily removed. But they're not very nice to have in a living space. Again, the glass is visually in the way when the window is open and the ventilation is not optimal.
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:27:06 -0400, "Mayayana"

else is a compromize.,
Optimal visibility is a single peice of glass (or an open hole). Anything else is a compromize. Double hung windows intrude on the visibility at one point when closed and 3 (or 4) points when open - all of them in the direct field of vision.Definitely not optimum for visibility. Saying casements are a poor choice for ventilation shows how little you know about windows and ventilation- as casements are the most efficient at catching breezes.
Hopper windows in cellars are sub-optimal because they open a small space to the basement ceiling. In a living room, or in schools where they were very extensively used before schools were air conditioned, they allow very good ventilation without directing the breeze across desks and directly at students.. VERY effective at both letting in air and causing the air to mix and destratify (upgoing air currents) They tend to get in the way in living spaces as you need to keep furnishings away from the wall/window to allow the window to open in. Awning windows do not have that problem and they still have a (more limitted) effect of causing an up-draft that destratified the air in the room - causing good air mixing and ventilation.
Yes, the awning windows, like any devided window, interfere with vision out one portion of the window - but they allow the greates percentage of un-interrupted view for the amount of venting. If you want to see the sky and distant views, put the operating windows at the bottom. If youwant to see your yard, put the operators at the top.
The most common setup is operators at the bottom. Hundreds, and thousands, of homes have this exact setup instaled across North America - and also across Europe.
Why? Because it works, and it looks pretty good.

Instead of opening out, it opens in - and instead of opening at the bottom it opens at the top
On 7/13/2014 2:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They were very popular in offices, schools, and the like built in the 60's and 70's. I've never seen them in a residence that I recall.

but I've seen a few and the window company I worked with installed quite a few.
And I know how to SNIP

+1 again
--
Tekkie