closed window - home is hot

Whenever I've seen or read about a jalousie window, it is always made up of a number of narrow frameless slates, usually about 4" wide like these:

Growing up, had a storm door like that and my grandmother had a porch surrounded by jalousie windows.

Every awning window I've seen has always been a single framed sash controlled by a crank. In fact, the same grandmother's house that had the jealousies on the porch had an awning window above the kitchen sink.

I don't recall ever seeing an awning window with multiple panes controlled by one crank. I tried a Google image search, but it appears that whenever there are awning windows stacked vertically, they are each controlled by their own crank or lever.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think you've got it made! Is that a 3-blade 16" fan in your second photo? I've got a quiet one that uses only 45 watts. Placed about 70cm from a window, it will blow out as much air as my 600 watt furnace blower. That brings fresh air in through other windows.

Placing it a short distance from the window lets the draft pick up additional air by venturi effect. My window openings are more than 60cm wide and high. A 16" fan would work with slightly smaller windows.

Reply to
J Burns

Not at all. It is like a "door" with the hinges at the top - like a casement window mounted sideways.. I'll see if I can find a picture

--- look at

and in the "fixed awning windows" section and "bay windows" section.

Now, envision the windows at the top of the "fixed awning window" at the bottom, like in the "bay window" section, but with a single fixed glass aross the top instead of separate windows. Any good window installer can do it. Or keep the awning windows at the top like the "fixed awning window" but have 2 flip outs but only a single glass for the remaining window. Either would look good, would ventilate well, and be much better than splitting the window into 3 horizontally.

Another option is 2 double hung windows side by side - but it doen't look anywhere near as good. Done right, the 2 awning windows and large pane will REALLY dress up the front of that house.

Reply to
clare

Definitely NOT Jalousies - they are useless ANYWHERE.

Reply to
clare

If you are in the Toronto area, find an installer who sells and installs EuroVinyl or Fenergic windows. Euro Vinyl is made in Toronto. Fenergic come from Quebec. I have EuroVinyl in my house in Waterloo

Reply to
clare

Nope - go frame out with attached brick mold. The brick mold will go over the siding, finishing off the opening VERY nicely. A window narrower than 2 feet is a narrow window - and 2 windows in a 6'9" opening will make for 27 inch units, which means about 18 inches of glass each - 54 inches of glass in a 81 inch hole.

Going with my recommendation, you get one pane of roughly 6 feet wide and 3 feet high, and 2 smaller windows of about 30 inches wide glass by 10 inches high either above or below.. Really looks good, and works well too. And if it rains a bit, you can leave the window open without getting wet inside. The little windows are screaned to keep out bugs.

We installed a LOT of this type of window 15 years ago in south-central Ontario.

Reply to
clare

With On tario Hydro rates?????

Not knowing what furnace she has, there is OFTEN a switch on the furnace to run fan "constant" or "automatic" And virtually all good recent thermostats have a fan switch on them.

Reply to
clare

Is that a padded bus bench across the street?! Wow!

I have one big window (140 cm height, 210 cm width) in the first floor of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). These days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be circulated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pictures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside

So I decided to replace it with a new window which has doors to open it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (material, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot once again.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I have had places with jealousie windows. If you've ever been locked out of your house, you know that these are easy to break into, even when closed tight. After that, I super glued the glass to the metal. Still not burglar-proof, but I'm told that burglars are looking for easy access, this idea was that they would move on to another house. The only negative was you couldn't take them out to clean (or break into your own house easily), but to me that was OK versus being safe.

Reply to
Guv Bob

They're fine for my garage windows, and were fine in my pick-up cap. Wouldn't want them anywhere else. Their advantage is you can open them for air circulation and even with horizonal rain you won't get water intrusion. Lube the mechanism every few years.

Reply to
Vic Smith

On the camper they let dust in like having no windows at all. And +1 on the lube. Nasty things, all round, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
clare

A real PITA to clean.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My original thought was also to see if there was a way to incorporate double hung windows in the window space that the OP has. But, with a window opening of 6.9 feet wide by 4.6 feet high, I couldn't see a good way to do that. I like your idea that works in your house with an 8 foot wide opening since that allows enough width to include a center picture window and a double hung window on each side.

I also thought about the possibility of creating a bowed-out bay-style window with a center picture window and a double hung window on an angle on each side. That seemed like more work than the OP wanted to do, and I am not sure if the dimensions would work anyway.

One reason that I like the idea of a double hung window is the ability to put a window A/C unit in if needed. However, I assume that the OP has other windows on the first floor that could be used for a window A/C since she said it is an open space floor plan.

Reply to
TomR

Thanks for for your reply, I appreciate it very much. Yes i agree the double hung window seems good choice, I just googled for the picture

this seems perfect and yes I can put on AC if I want in the future because the other small window above the kitchen sink is so small (2 sliding left and right)

But for double hung, do they come together? because I am thinking about the middle post between these 2 windows?

Thanks a lot once again

Reply to
leza wang

Thanks Tom for your reply and advices. I appreciate that very much. Yes the front panel has been changed, it looks like the siding now. boring but working.. and yes I changed the roof, the roofer said my plywood were not good and that is why he put a new plywood first and then the new single.. so no more leaking roof..

Thanks for your window advices, I will consider them all when I decide who is going to change it and what type I will go with. Thanks a lot once again

Reply to
leza wang

lol i clicked first on that link but did not read the rest of the post.. i did not know it was joke, i kept trying that link :)

Reply to
leza wang

...snip...

Yes, do a Google search for Twin Double Hung.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Glad you thought it was funny too. When I found it, I kept clicking on it thinking at first that it was some sort of ad video before the actual link, but then I figured out that "back door sliding windows" was some kind of dance term and not always just a type of window.

Reply to
TomR

That's good that they did new plywood decking since it needed that. And, that probaby means that they also did do the "ridge vent" across the top peak, which means that your atic is already vented.

Reply to
TomR

As someone else posted, you can get twin double hung windows that come together as one unit. But with the large size of your existing window opening, I wonder if putting in two double hung windows in that space would mean that each window would have to be unusually large -- maybe 3-plus feet wide each by 4 1/2 feet high. Maybe it would work though -- I just don't know.

Reply to
TomR