closed window - home is hot

Page 1 of 4
Hi all
I have one big window (140 cm height, 210 cm width) in the first floor of 1 .5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). Thes e days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be circula ted enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pictu res below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside
http://i59.tinypic.com/2gshpv5.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/30a72ba.jpg
So I decided to replace it with a new window which has doors to open it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels, tw o can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (materia l, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot once a gain.
leza wang wrote:

Hi, You can peruse on the 'net for all kinds of windows or go to HD or Lowes to look at them in many different styles. Mean time, you can run the furnace fan to circulate air in the house. Do you have sufficient insulation in the attic and good attic venting?
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:00:57 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). These days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be cir culated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see p ictures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside

and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels , two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (mat erial, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot on ce again.

Thanks for you advice. I have gas furnace and I turned the flam off. I am n ot sure if I can turn the furnace fan on.
About the attic, I have small one and it does not have insulation! It is in my mind to do that asap. How can I check if I have good attic venting? Tha nks a lot once again
leza wang wrote:

Hi, Aren't you the one who had all kinda problems in the house last time? Do you own a new(different) house? Are you certain about lack of insulation in the attic? Did you turn off gas to the furnace or turned the pilot off? Ontario climate in summer is humid, without pilot burning in the furnace, it can cause rusting problem. No fan switch on the thermostat? If you don't have fan switch, you can replace thermostat with fan switch.(this thermostat needs one more wire(G wire) to hook up.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:54:19 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

r of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors) . These days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be c irculated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pictures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside pictu re is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside

it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 pane ls, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (m aterial, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot once again.

es

am not sure if I can turn the furnace fan on.

s in my mind to do that asap. How can I check if I have good attic venting? Thanks a lot once again

Thanks, Yes no insulation at all. I removed the old one, was dirty and dust y and really bad but did not put anything else yet.
Yes the pilot is off, you scared me about rusting but thanks for the advice , I will turn it one now. i have to learn again how to do that.
I will check the thermostat. but if the pilot is on and the fan is start wo rking, does not that mean i will get hot air? Thanks a lot once again.
On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:46:22 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

Don't know where you are so brand and model are beyond me - but just make sure to have them replaced "frame out" not as inserts. You will want one left opening and one right opening casement and one fixed pane. I would use a high quality vinyl window - rehau profile - with a good brand name hardware and low E2 glass with argon - double glazed. I would hinge the casements on the outer edges, opening against the fixed pane. You want the install to maximize the amount of glazed area, and yet to have all the glazing lines line up so it looks like the window "belongs" in the house. Many of the low-buck hacker window installers couldn't make a window look good in a BARN - so make sure you get references and check out several installations of that type of window they have done over the last 5 years - checking with the customers re: any problems with the install.
You can get good or cheap - seldom both.
Looking at the pictures I'm not sure a poor install would look much poorer than what is there, but a good install might improve the looks of the house significantly.
My recommendation after looking at the picture would be to install two flip-out (awning) windows across the bottom with a full fixed glass across the top. Three panels across on THAT house would definitely not look right. ( I worked for 2 custom window installers over a 2 year period and learned a lot about what looks good and works good, and what doesn't
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:11:40 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

f 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). T hese days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be circ ulated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pi ctures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside

and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (mate rial, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot onc e again.

Thank you very much for all these amazing advices. I appreciate it very muc h. One more question if you do not mind, you said flip out awning window, d o you mean window like this:
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz114/beckybarnfather/House%20makeover/N eatDeskWindowsGaragedoor043-1.jpg
Thanks once again.
... Snip ...

Those are double hung windows. Awning windows open at the bottom. See here:
http://www.nvroofs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/window-types-info.gif
Leza,
I think he means jalousie windows. Not sure they would be a good choice for a Canadian winter.
Dave M.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 8:11:37 AM UTC-4, David Martel wrote:

For that, a casement type window with two side sections that open would be my first choice.
But..... If that really is the only window downstairs, having just one window there that can be opened while it will help, may not help nearly as much as she thinks it will. For good ventilation, you need more than one on the same floor, to get cross ventilation. Another possibility might be the window plus a whole house fan, depending on the climate, humidity, how many days it could actually be used, etc.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:07:42 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

ice

Thanks, I have small window on one side (above the kitchen sink) and one in the bathroom. It is open concept main floor, the kitchen, living room, and then the bathroom with door all in the main floor. So the air will be circ ulated if the main window can be opened. Thanks.
On 7/3/14, 9:54 AM, leza wang wrote:

I think you've got it made! Is that a 3-blade 16" fan in your second photo? I've got a quiet one that uses only 45 watts. Placed about 70cm from a window, it will blow out as much air as my 600 watt furnace blower. That brings fresh air in through other windows.
Placing it a short distance from the window lets the draft pick up additional air by venturi effect. My window openings are more than 60cm wide and high. A 16" fan would work with slightly smaller windows.
trader_4 wrote:

Hi, Also windows should be easy to clean, inside out.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 8:11:37 AM UTC-4, David Martel wrote:

Thanks Dave, good point. I live in Ontario/Canada.
Dave Martel wrote: "Leza,
I think he means jalousie windows. Not sure they would be a good choice for a Canadian winter.
Dave M. "
Not too many of those above the Mason-Dixon line.
As far as uninsulated attics go all I can say is, this is the 21ST FREAKIN CENTURY fcol! We have got to be, residentially, the most under-insulated nation in the western g-d hemisphere.

this is the 21ST FREAKIN CENTURY fcol! We have got to be, residentially, the most under-insulated nation in the western g-d hemisphere.

After six years of Obama presidency, who is to blame?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Hi all
I have one big window (140 cm height, 210 cm width) in the first floor of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). These days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be circulated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pictures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside
http://i59.tinypic.com/2gshpv5.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/30a72ba.jpg
So I decided to replace it with a new window which has doors to open it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (material, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot once again.
In typed:

You posted before about doing new front siding and I see that you were able to do that. It looks good and really changes the look of the house. The front door trim repair looks good too.
Based on the window styles that someone else here posted, what you have now is called a picture window. I converted your metric measurements to feet since that is easier for me to visualize, and it comes out to about 6.9 feet wide by 4.6 feet high. That is a large window space to fill.
Maybe what you want is called a "3 section slider window". I just did a Google search for "3 section slider windows" and then I clicked on Google images. That shows lots of images of 3 section slider windows that you can check out to see if that's what you want. Personally, I would prefer a slider window over one that opens out.
If you do go with a 3 section slider window, I think that maybe a "replacement" window instead of a "frame out" window may be easiest and best -- but I don't know for sure. It is possible that a "new construction" window which comes with a flange around the outside would be better and it would get attached on the outside and then the flange would be covered with trim. An experienced window installer in your area could look at what you have and tell you for sure what you need and what would be best. And, others here may know more about that than I do.
You would have to do the measurements correctly and have a window place make the new window to the exact size for you. In my area (East Coast of U.S. -- New Jersey), the very rough labor cost estimate for a window person to install that type of window and put some trim around on the outside would be about $150 (U.S.). Add to that the cost of the window itself and the cost of the trim. If you have a place nearby that makes vinyl replacement windows, you could get a price from them for the cost of a custom size window and you could ask them to suggest a few local window installers who can give you an exact price for the job. But, whoever you have installing the new window should also be the person who does the measurements. You never want to give a window installer YOUR measurements for the window and then have them buy the window based on your measurements. If you do, and something doesn't fit, they will say it's your fault for giving them the wrong measurements.
About your attic, attic insulation, venting, etc....., I remember that you were thinking of getting a new roof last year and the photo that you posted looks like it may be a new roof with architectural shingles. And, I think that the new dark rain gutters and downspouts look good. When you were going to get the new roof, I think they said they were going to put in a ridge vent. If they did, your attic is already vented. And, yes, your attic is very small -- very narrow with maybe only about a 4 or 5 foot wide flat ceiling on the upper floor rooms and the rest of the upper room ceiling space is sloped along the roof line. Whether you are, or were, able to figure out adding insulation is uncertain and you would probably need to have someone local take a quick look at what you have now and decide from there about the insulation.
Let us know what you end up doing with the front window and how it turns out.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:16:34 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Thanks Tom for your reply and advices. I appreciate that very much. Yes the front panel has been changed, it looks like the siding now. boring but working.. and yes I changed the roof, the roofer said my plywood were not good and that is why he put a new plywood first and then the new single.. so no more leaking roof..
Thanks for your window advices, I will consider them all when I decide who is going to change it and what type I will go with. Thanks a lot once again

That's good that they did new plywood decking since it needed that. And, that probaby means that they also did do the "ridge vent" across the top peak, which means that your atic is already vented.