Cleaning windows

I'm buying a house that has some large windows --12' x 4'-- and I'm the one who will be cleaning them. Any suggestions for doing a neat and quick job?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul Conley

First hose the windows, cold water and garden hose, screens included. Take screens out and prop them someplace to dry in the sun (hosing 'em off means their dirt won't be on the windows first time it rains). I use a commercial window cleaning concentate. I've also used ammonia/vinegar/water, per label instructions. Get a good squeegee and a good, soft scrub brush that fits on a broomstick handle (unless you are tall). A scrubber brush with long, split nylon bristles works great

- it may be designed for windows. Brush on the cleaner, starting with trim and moldings, then the frame and then the glass. Squeegee across the top, then across lower down, til you've covered the window. I've seen a "mop" type of washer, shaped like a squeegee but with short cotton yarn - looks slick but never tried one.

I've seen household hints that claim drying with crumpled newspaper works well, but not for me. If you have sappy trees, like pines, you may have spots that will require turp to remove them (sticky stuff).

If the windows or trim happen to be very dirty, pay attention to the runoff so's it doesn't stain the siding below the window. May want to hose it off before finishing windows.

Reply to
norminn

Get a micro-fiber cloth, (wrap it around a sponge head mop for high reach). They really work well on glass.

Tom

== My quickest, neatest window cleaner is my steam machine and the squeegee that came with it. Steam cleans the windows pronto with no rubbing--You do need a rag to capture the dirty water from the squeegee. You would need to have a portable unit for ladder work. == ==

Reply to
Gini
  1. Double aught buck.
  2. Call a glass company to put in new glass.

More seriously, I used to work wtih a custodian. He used to use Gleme, or some other brand of window stuff in a blue spraycan. Spray it on good, and wipe it all off with a white towel. Worked very well for him.

For windows that large, maybe a gardenhose on the outside, then once it's wet, spray on some of whatever window stuff you like. Wipe and then squeegee with a wiper from the auto parts store (sponge first, wiper second).

The pro window washer guys I've seen use a garden sprayer for the soap, and a brush on a long pole. Wiper on a pole, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon