cleaning mold...


Although I don't want clean mold, I want gone mold ;)
I've got a patch on one of the concrete basement walls that I want to get rid of, prior to painting the wall with moisture-sealer. A professional cleaning company at my wife's work said that bleach isn't so good though, and that Dawn is far more effective - is there any truth to that? My natural instinct would have been to use a bleach solution...
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jules Richardson wrote the following:

power washer with detergent
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 21, 12:49 pm, Jules Richardson

Mold or algae? Bleach should kill it dead enough. Detergent will wash it away. Neither are a long-term solution.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 21, 12:49 pm, Jules Richardson

The Dawn under our kitchen sink is a decent household detergent. No claims for anything beyond that. The bleach in the laundry, OTOH, councils against skin contact, ingestion, etc. and mentions sanitizing bathrooms, cleaning toilets and such. Given that mold organisms are living things, seems logical that the rougher chemical is better for killing the colonies. My vote's for bleach. If the mold has already died from UV exposure or whatever, then a kind detergent like Dawn would be helpful to wash away the corpses. Why not try both? In proper sequence, of course. In any event, you need a good clean surface for your concrete treatment.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dawn soap with out a little bleach won't kill mold spores. If you use a little dawn with the bleach and water the soap help it stick to the surface.
--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com )
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:39:58 -0700, Joe wrote:

Yeah, that was my thinking too. I wish I knew why these guys said Dawn was better. Maybe it's some crappy health and safety thing and they're worried about using bleach in confined spaces, so the Dawn does a worse job but is less risky in their eyes...

Yeah, the sealer/paint I was looking at the other day contained something to help prevent mold re-growth, but it didn't say anything about whether it could be applied straight on top of existing mold ;-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 21, 12:49 pm, Jules Richardson

No you need Bleach to kill is, Bleach removes the plants oxygen, detergent cleans up after
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ransley wrote:

bleach doesn't remove the oxygen. the chlorine oxidizes the proteins it is made of, causing it to die.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 9/21/2010 1:49 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

A couple of yr ago, the home inspector found mold in a house I was selling. ("Real" mold, like the kind I had to hire a mold remediator for and then get another set of tests run to verify it had been removed). The company used this stuff: http://www.serumsystem.com/theserumsystem.html . It's basically peroxide and bubbled the mold out from the walls (in my case wood, so I don't know if concrete makes a diff). Then they could vacuum it off.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.