Clamp To Prevent Lawnmower Blade From Revolving When Changing ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I read somewhere that "they" make a small clamp gadget to go on the underside of a lawnmower deck to hold the blade stationary and prevent rotation when one is putting on a new blade.
The kids at HD didn't know what i was talking about, and I couldn't find anything there like this.
Anyone happen to know what HD, or possibly ACE Hardware, actually calls these gadgets, or who makes ?
Thanks, Bob

2x4 [two by four] ? :-)
Jim

Sears has them. I don't know what they are called.

I never had any problems using a 2x4 as a wedge when I couldn't just hold the blade with a glove...
That stirs a very old memory. I may have seen such a gadget advertised, but never bought one. I usually use the toe of my boot. Many things are advertised, but not really needed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

S. Barker wrote:

I just grab the blade with gloved hand and wrench on the other hand. Worked all the time.
That SHOULD work. BUT people tend to think lawnmower blades need to be tightened to hell and back when a simple finger tight will do. They are self tightening. (unless you have one of those cheesy spline type hookups on a cheapy mower)

They are NOT self tightening. The blade hub should prevent any rotation on the shaft, which would be required for it to be self tightening. Further, the blade is part of the "flywheel" on almost every consumer walk behind rotary mower. As part of the "flywheel", it must be secured tightly to prevent chucking back and forth on the shaft. If you don't believe it is part of the "flywheel", try pulling the rope with the blade off and see how hard your arm gets pulled out of the shoulder socket.
S. Barker wrote:

We are both right. It depends on the mower. I was thinking mostly of commercial multiblade riders. A push mower is NOT generally selftightening. But they still don't have to be tightened with a six foot cheater like some people think.

Amazing thing that there Google
search text: lawn mower blade changing clamp
or you could use this high tech device:
http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/r10924.JPEG
personally, i just stick the 1/2" impact on them to remove them. And spin them back on by hand, and give the blade/bolt a snugn' by hand going back on. They are self tightening.
I just use my boot tip to press against the blade and keep it from turning. Been doing it that way for decades.
I like heavy leather work gloves.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

make sure you pull the plug so that it doesn't start up on you while you are wrenching on it...
Mark
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:51:21 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

I use a scrap piece of 2x4. Cost = 0.
The money I saved I put toward things more important.
By the way, if you have a small lawn, consider a push reel mower. They start every time. I know there are drawbacks, but whatever we can do for the planet, we ought to do that first.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Unlike the bolt hole thing, you can use your boot on other mowers, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Lee Valley sells them - they're called a "mower blade clamp" (who'da thunk it?)
Follow the link; http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pX895&catR&ap=4
Robert11 wrote:

The one I'm familiar with is called "Blade Buster"

These are the tools I use to hold my mower blade:
Foot -- wear a boot.
Hand -- wear a heavy leather glove.
I have been using an old wooden pallet slat.